Chapter 16

FINDING A Footing

1

It had been a long seven years since my father was able to stand on his own. He looked down seeing a golden dagger clutched in his right-hand. He laid perfectly still amongst the tall green grass using all the strength he had in trying to bring the dagger to his face. My father's eyes hurt for he had been in darkness with eyes closed for seven years. His right hand barely able to grip, for he had not gripped anything in years. Everything hurt as his legs began to twitch and move almost on their own. The ground formed an imprint of himself where he laid. Sounds of struggles as pain shot through his right arm trying desperately to see the dagger more closely.

Rye gave up, reserving all the strength he had. Moments later he tried again. But this time it was a bit easier. Then he would rest once more.

And as he laid resting, my father marveled over the lushness of the grass and the fullness of the trees. He also heard the clapping of the nearby stream that he knew not existed until now. All of this was covered in snow, he thought, trying to lift the dagger once again. With a grunt and a groan, he successfully placed the dagger to his chest then laughed at his accomplishment. Rye closed his eyes shielding his eyes from the light of the day. "I had never worked so hard in bringing something to my chest. The light of the day as brought pounding to my head."

"You had not opened your eyes in quite a while Master Rye."

"Who is there?

"Come now old friend it is I."

"It is who? Si?"

"Nay, it is not Si. Do you not remember? Do you not remember the storm that took your friend's life?"

"Aye! But who are you?"

"Will let me see. It was years ago when you had found me. I was only a foal then—"

"A foal? Do not be daft! You are taking me as a fool."

"Oh, dear, it is a lot worse than I thought... Oh! By the gods your hand has the same mark as I. You got one big line that goes up and down and one line that crosses the top and a little tiny line underneath that. Hum? Maybe that is why I am able to speak. Oh! Something weird did happen while I was standing watch over you... What am I talking about? A lot of weird things happen while you were sleeping. Anyway, a woman that was a bird, then became a bird again? No! That cannot be right."

"Can you please shut up for a moment? Are you talking about a bird that became a woman? Then the woman became a bird again."

"Aye! Aye! That is what I am talking about. Well—she turned into this light that seemed to calm me somehow. How was I supposed to know that it was Ada, but she called herself Morrighan? Weird huh?"

"Si's wife was here and turned into a bird then became light? What in damnation are you talking about?"

"Well, I am not going to sit here and take this from you. Oh, and by the way, you named me Equinox. If you would only open your eyes, you would see that I am your trusted steed, but noooo! My eyes hurt from the sun. Well, that is the thanks I get, I suppose."

And so, my father opened his eyes once again.

"Surprise! It is me, your noble steed. Oh! I can now talk!"

Rye closed his eyes once again. "This cannot be happening. This cannot be happening."

"Oh! It is certainly happening." Equinox reminded.