Chapter 14

Friends come in Odd Places

"And how does one kill a goddess? Replied Moonbeam."

"I do not know, but I will find a way. I promise you that."

1

I looked back at what used to be my house then felt the blue crystal in my pocket—it felt much heavier then I remembered. I then took out the blue crystal then looked back at Moonbeam. "Do you believe Lillian would be foolish enough to give me weapons that I could use to kill her with?"

Moonbeam thought for a moment. "I do not know. What are you thinking about doing?

I flipped the smooth crystal in my hand thinking about my next move. "It looks that I do not have much of a choice. Lillian is forcing my hand. What kind of goddess would do something like this? This is a goddess that my people worship. Is Caz any better then his daughter? If we cannot trust the gods then whom can we trust?"

Stone silence fell between us. "Did Charles know anything about the death of my family?" I asked Moonbeam.

"No! No! He had no idea. My mother told me to keep an eye on you, due to a certain magic that we have never seen before. Magic not from around here. It would be understandable if it was magic from one of your people—but the magic around you is so much different. My mother saw visions of you. She knew you would come to the pub. So, I made myself into a human. We needed to know why; magic was placed on you."

And that is when I remembered Lillian in the woods. I nearly forgot. But Moonbeam helped me to remember.

"Lillian came to me today. She said that she smelled magic on me. I did not understand what she met. I was upset and crying sitting on the Ce-Na, the twisted tree. I had a terrible fight with my aunt. I threw a plate at her. She was right. I drove my mother away with talks of father coming back home. I did not realize I was talking so much about it. Anyway... Mother came home and found me kneeling by my aunt's side. She held a cloth to her forehead due to the plate hitting her. That is when Mother told me to fetch Charles, to have her looked after. And when I talked with your mother Abigail. She told me my aunt and mother was dead—I had to come here. I had to see it for myself. I know you met well by standing in front of the door. But I needed to know. I needed to see it for myself."

Moonbeam listened to every word I uttered that day. "It was not your fault, Tara. It sounds like your family got caught up in the middle of something. If you need warriors, we got them! What did Lillian say to you?"

"After the fight with my aunt, I went to the Ce-Na, the twisted tree. It is the only place I can go to feel my father when he is not there. I was crying feeling poorly. And that is when she came to me. She was so beautiful. Like she was made from light. She showed me something that looked like a ball. It floated freely in her hand. Lillian told me to look at the floating ball, and I did. I saw father laying on grass. That is when she told me that she would give me anything I need in getting my father back. It did not feel right to me. I told her that my aunt is sick and I needed to go... Which was true. Lillian stopped me, then gave me this blue crystal. I place it in the moon's glow, then I will receive what I need in getting my father back. Moonbeam, I never had any real attentions of using it. And I think Lillian knew that. That is why she killed them both. As I said, I do not have a choice. I think I have to use the crystal."

"Was there anything else she asked you?"

I thought for a moment. "Aye! There is. Lillian told me she is looking for her sister. She told me that her sister was dangerous and I need to be careful. Then she asked me if anyone from outside of Masa lived here. It was weird... I tried to get the name of a woman that married Si, but for some reason I could not remember her name. Then Lillian walked inside my thoughts. There was a letter. It was by someone named Morrighan. I believe that Morrighan is Lillian's sister. But the letter did not sound evil or dangerous, the way that Lillian made her out to be. I do not know a woman named Morrighan, but I do know a woman named Ada. And Ada seemed to slip from my thought. When I cam back home to help my aunt at home, the name Ada seemed to reemerge. It was like something did not want me to tell Lillian the name. Even when she walked into my thoughts there was just a message to her sister."

"Sounds like Ada and Morrighan are one of the same. I think you and your family was enchanted by the one that calls herself Morrighan. What do you know about this Ada?"

"I knew Ada for all of my life. She was like an aunt to me. Mother had her sister Aslis, but my father did not have anyone else. He was an only child. However, my father told me about having a brother once. When he was very little. I think my father said his name was Jack, or something. When his mother came to check up on him in the morning, Jack died suddenly in his cradle. Father remembered burying him just behind the house in the yard. The tombstone is still there to this day. After that my father's mother bore no more children, maybe she was afraid, I do no know. Now as far as Ada. She kept to herself. She stayed home much of the time. Oddly enough, I do not know too much about her. Never thought about it before until now.

2

"Well, at any rate, I don't think you should make a decision like this on your own. At least speak with mother before doing so. Or maybe we should have Charles listen in. What do you think, Tara?"

I thought upon the words that Moonbeam spoke. She was right... Heading onward without counsel would be foolish. Speaking with Abigail in private indeed sounded reasonable enough, but was it enough? Hearing others speak would certainly clear some things, but it could distort facts in some ways as well. "Is it possible to have a gathering? Could we have the elders come in and listen to my plight?"

"Only elves can have a gathering of the counsel. But I must say this is not ordinary, not at the slightest. There are rules in the bylaws that states an elf could recommend a meeting with the elf counsel on the behalf of a mortal. And you are differently a mortal. It is worth a try. We do stay away from human affairs I am afraid. But this, this sounds graver then petty arguing over land or women. Whatever Lillian is planning on doing—it could affect us as well. Well, let me see what I can do. I will speak with mother at once. But before I do we need to do something about your mother's body and aunt's."

Moonbeam's hand formed a ball of fire in the palm of her hand. "Like it or not, your new life starts now. Let go what is now, the past. If you allow me to burn the house down, it will show favor with the elf counsel. You cannot do anything for them now. I know this is hard on you, but it is for the best.

I turned my back on Moonbeam then cried over Isabella, my mother, and my dear Aunt Aslis. It is not fair! Not at all... Fair! "I am sorry that this happened to you both. I will do what it takes to revenge your deaths, I promise you that."

I stood helplessly in front of Moonbeam with tears rolling down my eyes. "I need you to promise me. I need you to promise me that you will stand by my side. Will you speak for me at the elf counsel? And will you be my friend through all this?"

"Aye, aye, I will stand by your side. Are you ready, Tara?"

"Aye, I am. Let us set the souls free and let my new life begin."

And so, I did. Everything in that house died along with my mother and aunt. Tears came down while everything I knew turned to ash. It is funny when one thinks upon a person's life. No matter how long they live they leave behind them not much behind. I am the only living part of them. And now it is time to rescue my father. I must have counsel from the Woodlyn Elves. I pray they do not turn me away.