Chapter 17

Tara's World Opens

1

The thick smoke of Masa weed slowly thinned at the holding cell where I stayed. Charles had only left moments ago, leaving behind him thick white smoke from his pipe. The scent of Masa weed brought forth fond memories of my father, Rye. Memories that were nearly gone but aroused by a scent of an herb that laid dormant in my sleepy mind, but stirred thoughts of loneliness as I cried over my mother and aunt. A death that was not of their doing but done by the hand of a cruel goddess that had little regard for human life.

I missed my father dearly and now I have permission to use the blue crystal that lives in my pocket, feeling the weight of it grow as each hour of the day goes by. The sun of the day seemed to score the sky faster than I had remembered, bringing forth the fullness of the pale moon. The rest would be up to me as I take out the crystal, placing it in front of the path of the moon's glow, bring forth gifts that Lillian had sent to me. What scared me the most was accepting gifts from a goddess that murdered my mother and my dear Aunt Aslis, placing me in a position that I must use the crystal. Charles reminded me of something that I had forgotten... I have nothing left to lose. Lillian had taken my mother and aunt, but she wants me to journey out to find my father. The question remains... What is Lillian up to? In order to find out, I must use the blue crystal that was given to me.

The thought of seeing my father sparked a queer amount of excitement... I loved my father but was afraid to see him, telling him that the one he loves is now dead and gone. For me to say that my father would kill the one responsible for killing his wife and her sister would be an understatement coming from me. He would be certainly a man possessed with a sword strapped to his back with a thirst for blood on his tongue. I would have to be the one to shift his thinking from blood lust to sober thinking. But how? He lost the love of his life, as I have lost a mother. The taste of blood is on both on our tongues, but we must be wise about it. We must both stay of sober mind if we are to defeat a goddess.

But alas, there was nothing for me to do until the sun sets over the horizon and Moonbeam comes to unlock the door to the cell where I wait.

This part of the story I still have trouble of letting go of. I still feel it even to this day in my old age. It is like a stone deep inside my belly that will never find relief. I am now in the autumn years of my life and winter is fast approaching; I feel that stone deep down inside of me turning, feeling the sickness of it. I suppose some things never change with age. Perhaps change is only an illusion.

The rest of the day was like any other when Charles finished speaking his piece. I reassured him I would be gone when the morning sun returns. Just like Lillian, I wonder what Charles is thinking as he stands before the Elf Council on my behalf. Other than that, I sat, then laid upon my cot waiting for Moonbeam to come with a tray of breakfast. All there was for me to do was to close my eyes and wait.

When Moonbeam came with my breakfast, the sun was only a quarter of the way up in the sky. I wiped the sleep from my eyes, smelling eggs and bacon as Moonbeam laid the tray in front of me.

"Mother and I thought it was wise for Charles to come and speak with you. He came up with the idea for you to use the crystal... I do not know... But how do you feel about it? Are you nervous? What did he say to you?"

I did not uncover my eggs, bacon, and ham when Moonbeam spoke. The questions that Moonbeam asked me were the same questions that I asked myself. It was funny. I did not have any answers. I had no answers for Moonbeam. I did not look up at Moonbeam, nor did I speak a single word to her. I sat staring at my breakfast, trying hard not to throw up. I gripped the knife and fork, just staring at the plate of food, feeling the sickness of my stomach grow.