Chapter 1 - Saying NO to Change.

"Give me a moment." Quickly, I took out a notepad from my drawer and grabbed a pen hastily. I flipped the pad to a fresh new page before jotting down my notes whilst talking to my client. Seeing as I now had a pen in hand, she flung her hair back and started with her speech.

"Oh Sasha! I can't do it anymore, this marriage must end!"

I raised my eyebrows at the middle-aged woman in front of me and kept my lips shut tight so that I wouldn't say anything. She was a client after all so it was my duty to keep some of my opinions to myself. Besides, it was only nine a.m. in the morning so she must've been very desperate to get a divorce. I was pretty sure she had a pretty sound reason.

"He just left the house, without even saying a goodbye to me!" she exclaimed, her big violet eyes widening in what I presumed to be sadness and extreme shock.

"So, he just left? Not even a note or anything?" I patiently asked her.

"Did I not already tell you that?" I bit my lower lip and shut my eyes tight, willing myself to breathe normally. Even after all these years of being a lawyer, I still hadn't managed to become the quintessence of a "nice person". Composing myself, I smiled at her apologetically.

"And where did he go, did you find out when the day ended?"

I watched the prim and proper-looking lady's eyes widen with fury as her lips stretched into a long, thin line. Crinkles formed on her forehead like as if she was in deep thought. She bit her pearly set of teeth together and her nostrils flared ineloquently. Taking a deep breath then exhaling, she looked back at me with her huge eyes and parted her lips.

"He went to work!" she exclaimed.

I looked at Mrs. Sheila Arro with all the respect I had for the world and took a big, big gulp of air. Here I was with one of London's most respected female icons at nine o'clock in the morning, who wanted to divorce her husband because he had left for work.

Mind you, they had already been married for close to 17 years now.

Taking down what I had made out from her display of emotions, I closed my notepad and stuffed it under my desk. Standing up, I walked over to Mrs. Arro and held the poor woman's hands in mine.

"I am now speaking to you as a caring friend, not as the lawyer you had called your secretary to call at one a.m. in the morning. Your husband..." I began, before being interrupted by her.

She used a warning finger and waved it in front of me. "Ex-husband."

I smiled at her patiently and slowly moved her finger back to its resting position. "Sweetie, don't be too impulsive. Why don't you go to a spa and relax. Get a manicure or go for a massage and let your mind and body rest. Clear your mind and calm yourself down first. We can always talk about your case tomorrow or the day after that." Or never, I quietly said to myself.

"In anyway, just go back for now and get some rest. You must've spent some effort waking up this early in the morning to see me and have your emotions in a balled-up mess. Now, go back home for now. I shall call for your secretary to get the car."

I helped the lady out of her seat and waited until she got into her black limousine. It was posh and polished, unlike the lady who had a serious case of mild paranoia.

"Goodbye Sasha, I shall come again tomorrow!" she sang as she looked out of the car window, with a frilly handkerchief in hand. I smiled and waved back at her as the car drove off into the distance.

Retreating back into my office, I went to the coffee-making machine and made myself some coffee.

"I hope she doesn't come back. What a handful." I sighed.