Chapter 2 - J J J.

Chapter 2 - J, J, J.

Later that day, it had begun to drizzle slightly. My eyes flickered towards the ongoing rain outside. The windows in my office had already begun to get misty. Rubbing my sleeve over the foggy surface of the glass, I peered through the window to get a better look at the weather.

Multi-colored umbrellas filled the streets of dull London as the clouds continued to loom over the passer-bys walking. Some people were running around whilst covering their heads while some were miraculously strolling leisurely, like as if there wasn't even a drizzle going on.

I glanced over at the clock on the wall. It read 6 o'clock.

Just then, Emily barged in with an excited smile on her face. "Time to go home, Sash!"

The thick stack of documents on my table stared back at me, as if in mockery. Looking back at her apologetically, I jerked my chin over to the mountain of papers on my desk.

"Sorry Em, I've still got work to do."

She shot me a pitiful look as her eyes roamed over the pile of sheets. "Well alright then, I'll go off first." Yanking my door open to exit the room, she sang over the shoulder. "Don't stay till too late!" With that, she was gone.

Sighing, I reached over for another file of documents. As I opened the file, I meticulously ran my eyes over the script of words.

It was yet another divorce case, how exciting.

I looked over at the clock on the wall again.

Yes, I should be heading home now and not looking at anymore cases. Should I just go home now? Oh wait a minute, I wasn't the kind of person to leave anything undone so I was borne to return to the office again if I were to leave now. Alright Sasha, why don't you just get out of this room to unwind for bit?

With my purse and phone in hand, I proceeded to exit the building. As the fresh scent of atmospheric air filled my nostrils, a single raindrop slapped my cheek.

Oh shit, it was raining, I had forgotten.

I raced towards the first shelter my eyes could discern and hugged myself. The rain pelted down vigorously, illuminating a downpour. As more and more people ran in front of me, I slowly realised that I was on the road directly opposite of my office building. I groaned in frustration. Perfect, it was cold and it was raining and I couldn't even go back to my office due to the lack of a sheltered pathway from this road to my office.

My brain attempted to think of a solution to my dilemma in the next ten minutes or so. Eventually, I did come up with a solution though.

I took out my cellphone and dialed Emily's number.

After the first two rings, her shrilly voice boomed out of the speaker. "Best friend at your service!"

"Emilyyyy... I'm caught in the rain." I whined.

"Alright then, superhero at your service!"

I bid her adieu and hung up. Exactly five minutes later, I saw her car at the road.

"Get in!" She yelled.

Quickly, I got into the car. As the light signalled green, she stepped on the pedal and sped off.

"Thanks Em, you're a lifesaver." I breathed.

"No problem." Her eyes flickered towards the lack of things in my hand. "Not bringing any work back? How unlikely of you."

I shook my head at her. "I was initially planning to just take a breather outside, but I didn't expect it to be raining. Oh well, I'd rather head home in this kind of weather anyway."