Chapter 5 - Adventurous Adventures

We picked Emily's children up afterwards at her house after we left the office. Mike, her husband, wasn't going to be following us since he was busy at work but Jason, her nephew, tagged along. So, it was Emily, her children, Jason and myself.

At first, we were planning to go to an amusement park, but then we realized how ridiculously far the amusement park was from Emily's house.

"So..." Emily muttered as she squinted her eyes at the GPS she had in hand, "it will take us approximately three hours to get there. Do you want to take this risk?"

I sighed and looked over at her children. It was already three in the afternoon, and so by the time we actually reached our destination, it'd be six, or even later. By the time we actually reached home, it would probably be 11 at night or something. That was way too late, given that Emily's kids were still rather young.

"How about we go to Jason's school, Mom?" asked James.

"James, although I'm happy that you're surprisingly not avoiding the idea of going to school, I don't really think that school might be the best place to head to now." said Emily.

He gave her a puzzled look before finally understanding what she thought he had meant. "Mom, you got it all wrong. I still hate school, rest assured," he said whilst patting her shoulder in a way of assuring her. "What I meant was that Jason's school is actually organizing a carnival, and you may have forgotten but today is the day of the carnival."

"Oh yes, the carnival completely slipped my mind! I heard that it's pretty exciting so we could go and take a look." said Jason.

"Why didn't I even know about this carnival?" asked a slightly confused Emily.

"Oh, that's because I'm not even a part of the carnival so I didn't mention it to you. Not everyone is involved in the event, and that includes the batch of students in my year."

"I see. Well then, should we make a detour to Palmenine Institution then?" asked Emily.

"Let's go!"

~~~

I must say, I was pretty impressed at the sight before me. I mean, I remembered my school's carnival very clearly. I was the radio hostess, reading other people's sappily sweet confessions over the radio. And for those few hours, I was basically forced to listen to the same few songs over and over again. It was nice though, better than having to slave under the sun, entertaining the guests who came. Because it was also held in mid-day, it was really hot so I guess that I shouldn't complain since I was in an air-conditioned room.

Anyway, it was now at about 3.30pm. So, it wasn't exactly humid. The weather was pretty pleasant and Emily's children looked really excited.

The entire school ground was covered by numerous multi-colored booths. The range was wide - kissing booths, gaming stations, desert stands and so much more.

"Aunt Sasha, let's go to the haunted house first!"

I stared at James with mixed expressions. I was planning to be 'risky' today by entering a haunted mansion but hell yes, I was really afraid. So, I guess you couldn't really call me a daredevil, I was more of a umm... Peach.

"So, are you up for it Sash?" asked Emily.

"C'mon Aunt Sasha, you can do it!" said Jason.

"Yeah. And anyway if you get scared and faint, I'll be there to do CPR on you till you regain consciousness," smirked James before Emily slapped him on the arm.

I hesitated for a while. I looked at their faces, and then decided I that I had to do it, I had to make myself proud. At least after this experience, I could record this adventure into my biography.

"Looks like your Aunt Sasha has made up her mind. C'mon kids, drag her to the haunted house."

I sneered at Emily as James and Jason obediently pulled me to the surprisingly short queue.

"Hmm... Why is the queue so short? I was expecting it to be much longer." I curiously wondered aloud.

"It must be really scary I guess," James causally remarked.

Inwardly, I gulped as the people in front of us entered the haunted house.

"I hope you cry," said the teenager at the entrance of the haunted mansion.

He had said it in the most nonchalant way known to mankind that I felt annoyed. Did you have to curse me? And furthermore, was there a need to make me even more scared than I already was?

I felt Jason pull on my hand as we entered the haunted mansion. The light was dimmed and slightly greenish, giving the area a spooky atmosphere. Cobwebs and spiders dangled from the ceiling above like makeshift chandeliers, but the kind of chandeliers that looked so shaky that they could just fall off at any given time. What disgusted me was how the "insects" even seemed alive, as the bugs seemed to be moving across the wall.

I shivered in fear and held onto Emily. Turning around to give me a reassuring look, I was shocked to see how calm she appeared to be. And when I caught a glimpse of tiny little Jayn, I was stunned at how relaxed she looked!

But, all those thoughts disappeared as we walked down a pathway to a really smoky area. The entire room we were currently in was filled with misty, white smoke that shrouded our vision. I panicked slightly when I started to lose sight of Emily. However, I panicked much more when actual people started to enter the scene.

The walls in this room were like the steel bars of a jail. And suddenly, there were people from behind the bars who could not be seen earlier, who started trying to break out of the jails!

I screamed in horror as they clawed the steel bars and shook the bars with monstrous strength. Blood was streaking across their pale faces and all of them seemed to be targeting me.

"Emily... James... Jason... Jayn!" I yelped out, trying to find them but they were nowhere to be found.

The chills running down my spine continued to rapture incessantly, making me shiver in fear. I felt a wave of nausea drown me in my misery as I took a step forward. The monsters trapped behind the bars were still coming at me, and they didn't look like they were even planning to stop.

Then, they started to make noises.

My eyes bulged out of their sockets as they moaned and groaned loudly. I frantically surveyed the room and realized that I was the only one left.

"Baa... Baaa... Loo... Here..."

My eyes darted towards the my left, and in utter shock, I saw the bars began to bend.

Now, there really was someone coming at me. The adult man twisted and bent the bars like the Incredible Hulk, and then I saw him stagger out of the jail. My gaze met his and I saw that he was staring directly at me.

"D-don't touch me!" I shouted, with my legs trembling below.

My attempt was futile as he came at me. I shut my eyes close, and sent my last prayers.

"Blondie!"

My eyes immediately flew open as I stared, wide-eyed at the monster who was coming at me previously.

"Mutt?"

Author's Note!

So, what do you think is going to happen next? And, why on earth did he show up there, out of all places? ;)

P.S.

I apologize for the short chapter but it had to be done. Anyway, the next chapter will be LONG. However, I must be very frank. I am extremely busy right now, so for the next 3 months, updates will be sporadic and sparse. I'm sorry, but I really have no choice.

But, thank you so much for bearing with me! I really am very grateful to you for following A Fair Affair and will constantly upload as much as I can manage once I am done with my O Levels!

Till then, xoxo.