2: Dearest Brother

I knew from that first instant, that I was interested in Mattheo. I wasn't sure in what way, but I knew that I was. He was captivating, I'll give him that.

The first feast had just finished, and we were instructed to go to our dorms, unpack, and rest for tomorrow. We all rose and headed for the main entrance. I stayed to the side to wait for Pansy, who got stuck behind some first years who were walking extremely slow. The rest of my group walked past, laughing at her as she huffed and puffed, and left up the main stairs. I was looking around, and then could see Cedric rushing in my direction, and I knew I was in for a treat. I wasn't really in the mood for a lecture, however, I spent the whole summer at the Parkinson's, therefore haven't had the chance recently to remind him that I'm not interested in anything he has to say. Pansy caught up to me, confused when I didn't begin walking.

"What are you waiting for?" She asks me.

I nod in Cedric's direction as he continues to rush closer.

"Want me to stay?" She has a concerned look on her face.

"No. just wait for me at the top of the stairs, I won't be long."

She gives me a weak smile and turns around, walking up the stairs.

I spin around and am met face to face with my twin brother. He is a lot taller than me, and has quite a larger reputation in his house for being an older, popular Hufflepuff. I too have a reputation in the Hufflepuffs, for being the Slytherin sister.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He half whispered, half shouted at me.

"Are you insane?" I fired back.

"No, are you?"

"I thought Hufflepuff's were supposed to be nice," I said calmly, beginning to turn back around. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him. All I could do was smile.

"Mattheo Riddle? Are you kidding me Evelyn?"

"What, he sits down next to me and suddenly I'm going to die?"

"He's the son of...."

I looked at him, intrigued, waiting for him to spit it out.

"The son of 'You-Know-Who.' He finally said.

"You're so pathetic you can even use his real name, plus, he's dead, its not like he can hear you."

He began to stammer and mess up his words.

"Its a little late to go all 'protective brother' on me now Cedric."

"Stay away from him." He instructed.

"Fuck yourself," I replied, before spinning around and walking away swiftly before he had the chance to retaliate.

We are not on good terms. Ever since I was sorted into Slytherin in first year, my family completely derailed. I come from a long line of Hufflepuffs, and the pressure of ending up in the right house was extremely evident. I remember Cedric being called first, the smile on his face when sorted into Hufflepuff. I also remember his stunned look of embarrassment when I was sorted into Slytherin.

I never had a wonderful relationship with my parents anyway. I think my behaviour foreshadowed the whole Slytherin thing. I was always the 'rebellious child'. My father didn't speak to me for a long time after that, and my mother was vile and cruel. It got worse as I got older, and I found a voice to retaliate.

Since the end of fourth year, I've been staying with Pansy during the holidays. Her mother was happy to include me in the family.

"What was that about?" She asks me as I reach the top of the stairs.

I roll my eyes. "Nothing important, as always."