35: Guardian

I don't say anything, I just stand there in shock horror. My mind flickers back and forth, remembering it all, remembering her.

"I want you to come with me, for Christmas." She says, walking down the steps and coming closer. "I figured this is the last chance you'll get to redeem yourself before you leave the school." She stops and stared me.

"You fucking what?" I laugh. I have no idea what she is trying to do. She made it evidently clear she did not want to see me ever again after the end of fourth year. I returned the feeling. I always knew there was more too it that the Hufflepuff Slytherin thing. She hated my attitude, how I treated her, everything I did. Could you blame me? They ignored me for a solid year after I got sorted. So I became rude and indifferent to them until I could stay at Pansy's for the holidays. I think she hated losing control over me. My father was more of a verbal person, she was more known for taking action. "Does your husband know you are here?"

"No." She replies.

"Why are you here, really? Had a change of heart?" I tend to use the sarcasm to cover the fact I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

"I am your legal guardian Evelyn, I'm your mother, you have to because I say so." She takes a few more steps forward me, causing Narcissa and Pansy's mother to step forward on both sides of me.

"Does Dumbledore know what my legal guardian did? I pause. "Should I tell him?"

"I did what I did for a reason." She shouts at me now.

Pansy's mother buts into the conversation. "We have willingly taken Evelyn in, because of your own negligence that you are in this position. It is your fault."

"I just wanted a daughter, a nice one, one who listened, who.." She can't even finish her sentences. I can see the anger build up inside her. "Why couldn't you be like Cedric? I just wanted you to be perfect."

"What a fucking shame." I reply.

The next couple of seconds feel like an hour. She launches herself at me, sobbing and screaming. Her hands clasp around my arms, and if I wasn't wearing a jumper I'm pretty sure her fingernails would be burying into my arm. She pushes me back, into the wall. My head slams into the brick and the air is knocked from my chest. I can't even hear what she is saying because she is shouting so hysterically. It doesn't take long for Pansy's mother to pull her off and push her away. Everyone draws their wands and Snape jumps in front of us all. Dumbledore stands, but still says nothing.

She stands there breathing heavily, staring at me through the crowd of people. I don't know what to do. I'm not really in the room. Right now, my mind is back at the Diggory house. Back at that night at then end of fourth year. I'm laying on the floor of my bedroom, staring at the ceiling, not enough energy to even move.

"Evelyn." Pansy is shaking me, her voice is cracking and wobbling. "Evelyn."

I regain some control and I realise I slided down the wall, and am now on the floor. Pansy is kneeling in front of me and DRaco is to the side of her, the same worried expression on his face. Narcissa and Pansy's mother are still facing my mother, wands in their hands. Snape is the same. Dumbledore has moved now, and is next to my mother, saying things I can't hear.

I stand up, push past Pansy and head straight for the door. She begins to shout again but I can't hear what because I leave quicker than she cant react.

_______

I reach the bottom of the stairs and I feel physically ill. Pansy is behind me, arms outstretched, hovering around me like she is ready to catch me if I fall. I can't see Draco because all i can focus on is walking forward, but i think he is next to Pansy. I don't think I've taken a breath in the past 40 seconds and my chest is on the verge of imploding. Trying to stand up straight, I continue walking

"Evelyn." She pleads. "Slow down for a second."

I feel like I'm about to throw up and I just want to get as far away as I can from my mother. How dare she treat me like she did, do the things she did and then turn up here and ask me to come home with her. What was she even thinking? It's like seeing her sparks some kind of illness in my head, to the point where i am physically unable to be around her without wanting to drown myself in the back lake.

We turn the corner, and just my luck, the rest of the boys are there.

"We were just coming to look for yo-" Theo begins, but trails off when he sees our faces. "What's going on?"

They instantly begin walking towards us, I make eye contact with Mattheo and he's by my side within the second. I'm still trying to stand up straight and keep myself upright.

"She-" I can't even form my sentence because when I open my mouth all the air rushes out. "She-"

"It's Lilian." Pansy cuts me off.

Theo and Enzo immediately understand the situation and look to Draco to explain. They are all aware of the relationship I have with my mother, and the events that occurred, but I made them all swear not to say anything to anyone. Mattheo won't get it, but I think he's too focused on me right now. He's looking in my eyes, trying to get me to make contact while I throw my eyes around the hallway.

"Lilian?" He doesn't take his eyes off me. "Who is Lilian?"

"Her mother." Pansy replies.

I pull at the neck off my jumper, everything feels too tight. He's smart I know that, which is why I don't think it takes him long to figure out. His eyes begin to dart between mine and the mark on my neck, and I see him making a connection. He stands up straight and looks towards the end of the corridor. Before he can speak, Snape appears around the corner. He stands there, assessing the situation.

"Mr Berkshire, take Miss Diggory back to her dorm." He is interrupted by more shouting as my mother escapes from the office behind him. He turns to look at her, then spins back. "Now Lorenzo." Then he turns around and disappears back around the corner.

Enzo rushes towards me and uses my shoulders to spin me around. He holds my hand and pulls me in the other direction. The rest is a blur really. Soon we are in my bedroom, Enzo shuts the door.

"What the actual fuck?" I explode.

"Evelyn."

"How can she just-"

"Evelyn."

"After what she-"

"Evelyn." He shouts.

He rarely shouts.

I stop talking and look at him, my chest still heaving. He hugs me. Normally I would protest but now I let him. I stand there and let him hug me.