Chapter 52 - A Senior's Wish

"Your class is growing to be a formidable opponent, so I can't wait for that opportunity," Ichinose replied.

"Well, I thank you for the compliment. They have shown tremendous amounts of improvements. It excites me in a way."

"Hehe," Ichinose laughed in response. "I like that you're so proud of your class. I'm also proud of my own and how Kanzaki-kun has led us so far. Even though we have our falters, I believe in every one of them."

"We have quite a bit of time left at this school. Anything can happen. The future is unpredictable."

Our conversation slowed to a stop as we made our way back to the first-year dorms.

There was silence between us, but not the awkward silence you might have with someone of the opposite gender.

But a comfortable one, a feeling that we didn't always need to talk to each other to enjoy each other's presence.

I did have one tiny question lurking in the back of my mind though.

"Ichinose, I have a question."

"What is it, Fukumoto-kun?" Ichinose looked at me curiously.

"What is the relationship between you and Nagumo? In the meeting, you seemed rather... close to him."

"I do work with Nagumo-senpai quite often because of council duties, but it's a strictly professional relationship."

"Oh, I see," I responded.

"Why'd you want to know?" Ichinose fired back her own question.

"I've never heard any other male student on campus call you by your given name. Plus, you didn't seem quite upset with him using it. So I considered the thought of you having a deeper relationship, that's all."

"I see as to why you'd think that. But no, I'm not in a relationship with Nagumo-senpai. He has a habit of calling female students by their given names after a few interactions. It took a bit to get used to, but it doesn't bother me now."

Our conversation came to a halt as we reached the elevators at our dorm.

As Ichinose called for the elevator to come to the lobby, I thought it would be best to say our goodbyes now.

"I'm quite excited to be on the council now. It will be a great opportunity to grow," I said.

"Certainly. It's quite a challenge, but I know you'll do well," Ichinose said with a sweet smile on her face.

The elevator reached the lobby, and Ichinose stepped inside.

"Aren't you coming in, Fukumoto-kun?"

"Ah, no, I'm alright. I usually take the stairs anyway. My room is not that far," I pointed back towards the stairwell in the corner of the lobby.

"I'll see you later then, Fukumoto-kun," Ichinose waved goodbye as the doors to the elevator cut off my vision from her.

My shoulders slumped a bit as I relaxed for a moment. I had achieved what I wanted today.

A spot on the student council.

A place where I could bring about real change and impact into my life in this school.

I was now far closer to Nagumo, who ruled the school with an iron fist. Especially among the second-years, it seemed.

If I played my cards right, I could learn valuable information from him that would put me a step above the rest.

Even then, Nagumo was also a threat to me. He may provide me a challenge at some point, which excited me.

But I was starting to get a little exhausted and drained now. A good sleep would definitely be beneficial now.