Chapter 59 - Bloom

(Ryuuen Kakeru, POV)

"Freakin' stupid."

I let out an exhausted sigh as I continued my journey to the school.

Some days, you win, and other days, you lose. You could prepare yourself all you want and believe nothing could take you down, but ultimately, still fail.

Yesterday happened to be one of those days.

It wasn't even the first time something like that had happened to me. The number of times I'd been beaten was probably in the triple digits by now.

Yesterday wasn't even the first time I had lost to those Class D fodder.

Ayanokouji was always a step ahead.

But what made this loss different from all the others?

School rules required that uniforms must be worn by every student when entering campus, but I didn't need to pay attention to that rule anymore.

Since it was the start of winter break and Keyaki Mall didn't open till ten, I'd probably be the only student heading toward the main campus at this hour.

Along the way, I noticed a lone student standing along the side of the path, furiously tapping their foot on the ground. I ignored her and kept walking, but she called out to me.

"You know how long I've been waiting, it's freaking cold out here."

I continued down my original path.

"Hey! Wait a minute!" She chased after me in a panic and grabbed my shoulder.

"What are you doing? Don't touch me so casually," I growled back.

"It's not like I want to touch you. I just need to talk to you," said Ibuki.

I stared back at Ibuki. Her nose was red, probably from waiting in the cold weather, but she seemed determined to speak to me.

"You didn't have to contact me like this. How long have you been outside?"

"Who knows?"

Ibuki had probably been waiting for me for a while now, considering her response.

I tried to slip past, but Ibuki grabbed my arm.

"I just want to know why you were giving me your phone back there."

A slight shiver was sent down my spine recalling that moment. Just before Fukumoto had interrupted my self-sacrifice, I was planning to transfer all of my Private Points to Ibuki. But all of that was pointless now.

"It would be a waste if those Private Points disappeared with me," I replied.

"But why me? Not Ishizaki or Albert."

"I don't expect Ishizaki to do anything useful with that many Private Points. Albert, maybe. You were the best option I had."

"What was your original plan with that many Private Points?" asked Ibuki.

"The goal was 800 million, but that isn't possible anymore."

"800 million? That's enough points to transfer everyone to one class."

"You've got a weak grip there," I said as I slapped Ibuki's grip off me and continued to head toward the school.

"Are you really going to quit?"

"I thought you only came to talk to me about the phone. Having lingering feelings?"

Ibuki gave me a harsh glare in response. "I thought you said the strongest person is whoever wins in the end, no matter how many times they lost before. That's what you said when you fought Ishizaki and Albert."