Chapter ten

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The noblest art is that of making others happy." - The Greatest Showman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

🃏 Hugo 🃏

"GET IN LOSERS, WE'RE GOING SHOPPING!" I shout while standing in the lobby. Regina George is an icon and 'Mean Girls' is amazing, I need to watch it with Maya soon! Not the second one though, that one is shit. 

I see Martín and Lucas are already completely done with my shit. Maya just looks like she has seen a ghost. We really need to work on her pranking, can't have a codelincuente (partner in crime) who never pranks anyone. 

After we are all seated in the car, I connect my phone to bluetooth and play some of the best songs of all time. The '00 and '10's were the highlight of music. Every song is amazing but my favorite really is 'Bang Bang', it just hits all the right spots. 

Even though I am an amazing singer I can see Martín holding his laugh and Lucas looking like he is hearing nails on a chalkboard. They just have no taste. 

Maya is looking out the window, unbothered by my singing or anything else going on. After a while of looking out the window myself and softly singing along, I feel a tap on my arm. When I turn towards her, Maya is frantically looking behind us and back to me.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" Martín looks back almost instantly when I say the words. Lucas is looking through the rear view mirror at me with a questioning gaze. Maya is now pointing through the rear window at the following cars.

Because of dad's and Daniel's work there is always some sort of escort when one of us goes out, today there are two cars following us to protect us if something happens. Has anyone told Maya this?

"Do you think we are being followed?" Martín askes from the front seat but it's like it doesn't get through to Maya when she is almost completely turned around in her seat. 

Her breathing gets heavier and heavier, "Mariposa, look at me." Comes from Lucas while he is looking at her through the mirror. When she is looking into his eyes he continues "Because of the work dad and Daniel do, there are people to protect us when we go out. The cars following will not hurt us, they are here to protect us. Do you understand me, mariposa?" 

She is still looking like she saw a ghost but nods anyway. After a while of her looking out the window again and the rest of us glancing at her every few minutes we reach the mall. 

Time to spoil the shit out of our little sister. 

💫 Maya 💫

When we reached the mall, all I could focus on was the cars following us. Lucas said they were for protection but why do we need protection? It's not like there are people who will hurt us when we have done nothing wrong, right?

The last time I bought new clothes was more than a year ago and even then it would always be from the thrift store or second hand. This mall looks like it only has the most expensive shit that no one really likes. 

I was wrong, it's still expensive as fuck but I like the clothes. I have found a lot of shirts and sweaters and even a cute dress. The boys, I guess I should say my brothers, are being really nice and helpfull with picking out cute clothes. 

They still think I need about five times as much as I already have but I don't need more. I also don't want to push Álvaro's generosity so I will keep it like this. 

We reach a store with electronics and Martín says "Dad said you need a new phone and laptop while were at it so let's go." 

After a few hours of walking in and out of stores and having a few bags of clothes and new electronics, we decide it's time to go back to the house. Well I kind of decide because my ribs are hurting me quite a bit, just like the wounds on my back. So when they asked if I wanted to do anything more I shook my head violently. 

After grabbing a bite at the drive-through of something called McDonald's we get back to the house. I put away all my new stuff and just sit on the bed. What do I do? I never had any me-time before. 

I decide to look for Álvaro since he said something about me-time when I got here two days ago. This house really is a maze, how the hell am I gonna find someone here?

I walk through the hallway and open most of the doors, finding no one. Where is everyone? When I enter the kitchen I find Lucas and Martín sitting at the kitchen counter, Lucas doing something on his laptop and Martín scrolling through his phone. 

I stand there a few seconds, hoping one of them will look up. When they don't, I knock on the doorpost to get their attention. Lucas looks up but Martín keeps his eyes on his phone.

"Hey there mariposa. Are you okay?" At the mention of my nickname I see Martín looking up quickly. I nod to answer Lucas' question. "Okay good, preciosa." I look up at the new nickname Martín gave me. 

I noticed that everyone has their own nickname for me, it makes it easier to know who is talking when I'm looking down so I like it. 

"Can we help you with something or are you just walking around?" I put up one finger to let them know I want some help with something. "Okay, are you looking for something or someone?" Two fingers. 

"Hugo?" Shake of my head.
"Mateo?" Shake of my head.
"Daniel?" Shake of my head.
"Dad?" Ah, that's Álvaro. I nod. 

"Ah okay, dad is working in the home office with Daniel, do you want me to walk you to the door, preciosa?" That sounds like he is busy, I guess I will just go back to my room and figure it out myself. 

Just as I am about to shake my head, "Come on mariposa, I will show you where the office is." Before I can protest, Lucas is out the door and I need to quicken my pace to catch up. 

Lucas stops before a big door and knocks. "Come in." I hear a voice coming from inside but I have no idea who's. Lucas opens the door and takes a few steps inside, blocking my view because of his length. 

I noticed that everyone in this house is tall, all of them are above 1.80 while I am a lot shorter, I'm not necessarily short but standing next to them with my 1.65 it's a noticable difference. 

"Lucas, what's wrong?" I think this is Álvaro talking but all the voices are so similar there is no way to know for sure. "Nothing's wrong. She's looking for dad." As he says it, he steps to the side so I now get a clear view of the office. 

It's a beautiful office, modern but also classic with a mixture of dark and light colours. 

"Hey there, mi amore. You were looking for me?" While looking around the office in amazement I nod. "Come here, what do you need?" Álvaro says while getting his phone out with the notes app. 

'What do I do in free time?' I give his phone back and he thinks a little. "You want to know what to do in your free time?" I nod and notice that Daniel and Lucas are looking at me kind of weird. Was it a weird question? 

"You can do anything in your free time, mi amore. That's why it's called YOUR free time. You can stay in your room, read in the library, play games with your brothers and me or take a walk through the garden for instance. You choose." That sounds awful, never having a scheduled thing to do and just figuring it out in the moment. No thanks.

'Is it okay if I go to my room?' "Mi amore, you never have to ask to do anything, just let us know when you leave the house okay?" I nod and walk out. On my way upstairs I think about the fact people can apparently be okay with not knowing what they will be doing in a day. It sounds awfull. 

A walk through the garden sounds nice though. That will be my new after-dinner thing. After dinner I take a walk through the garden every day. That sounds nice. 

A/N - I love every single one of these people, who's your favorite?

I love you as well :)          <3