Chapter twenty six

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is about your journey, sweet girl
They 
Don't have to understand"
- Catarina Rose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

👨‍💼 Daniel 👨‍💼

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Dad yells to uncle Santiago. I have never seen him this mad except for the day he found out mom left. 

I see Maya shrinking into herself, she's never reacted well to people raising their voices, let alone yelling. 

Before I can even get to her to see if she's alright I see her running up the stairs. Dad is so blindsighted by his anger towards his brother that he doesn't notice her running away but I also know dad is the only person who can calm Maya down when she's like this. 

"Dad, Maya ran upstairs. She didn't look good." I say and at the sound of Maya's name he snaps his head towards me. 

"Shit." he says and sprints towards the stairs, taking them three at a time. 

Now I know dad is making sure Maya is okay I turn my attention to the son of a bitch Santiago who's still standing in our lobby, refusing to leave. 

"Get out." I say with a dangerously low voice, glaring at him. 

"Okay fine. I'll go. Manuela, boys, let's go." He says while walking towards the door I am holding open for him. But what he doesn't see is his wife and sons staying put, not even moving an inch.

He turns around when he's in the doorpost and when he sees them not following him I can see the second of hurt flash on his face before he recollects himself and says "Fine, don't follow me. I don't need any of you, but you need me. Where are you going to live now, huh? None of you are allowed to set another foor in MY house or touch MY property again. YOU HEAR ME?!" 

"That's fine. They will just stay with us then, we have enough rooms here. It's not problem at all." I say with a smile on my face. Letting him know they don't need him at all. 

Without saying another word he storms out and I close the door softly behind him. As soon as the door falls in the lock I turn around, let the smile slip and run up the stairs, almost everyone directly behind me.

When I reach the door to Maya's room I see it's broken with wood chips and splinters all over the floor, I guess dad broke through the door.

Looking inside I see dad sitting on the floor with Maya on his lap, I knew he would be the only one to calm her down.

Before everyone else can see and get inside her room I turn around and block the view, seeing everyone is already trying to look past me. 

"Okay, everyone, I get that you want to make sure she is okay and want to be there for her but what she needs now is space and privacy. She's okay, dad has her and she will be fine, she just needs some time. So if everyone can please clear out the hallway and get back downstairs or to your own rooms, we will see her for dinner in a bit." 

I hear a few mumbles and small protests but they still all walk away, either downstairs or to another hallway. 

I also leave them alone, dad knows what he's doing. 

💫 Maya 💫

When my breathing is back to normal and I've calmed down, dad pulls away a little so he can look in my eyes. "Are you okay, mi amore?"

"I am now" I whisper and cuddle more into his chest. He chuckles and I can feel the rumble going through his chest. "Good to hear that."

Sitting there for another few minutes, me almost falling asleep, dad talks again "It's almost dinner time. Are you up for dinner with everyone, mi amore? I can also bring some food up to your room if you want." 

I kind of don't want to be alone right now. He will find me in my mind when I am alone, he always does when I'm alone, that's why I always listen to music.

This is also the moment my stomach decides to give me away by rumbling. "Want to go down to eat, mi amore? You sound hungry." He says with another chuckle. 

I nod into his chest, too ashamed to look up. 

"Okay, you're going to have to stand up then, you know that right?" this one is just all chuckle, I can hear the smile in his voice without having to see his face. 

I groan a little and slowly stand up, almost falling over from dizziness but recovering by grabbing dad's shoulder who's still sitting on the floor. 

"Whoa there, be careful mi amore." Just like I could hear the smile, I can now hear the concern without having to see his face. "I'm fine." I say quietly. I'm not really fine, but I want to be.

He stands up and we walk down in silence. When we enter the guest dining room I see everyone is already seated and there are two places empty, the head of the table and the place to dad's left.

My seat. 

But where does uncle Santiago sit? There are no more seats with plates. I think dad can see my confusion so he says "Santiago is gone and he won't be back, take your seat mi amore." 

I don't really know how to feel about that news, on one hand uncle Santiago was being really mean but on the other hand, he is the reason I am even alive.

If it wasn't for him my own mother would've killed me. 

I hesitantly take my seat next to aunt Manuela and across from uncle Antonio and his wife. Before I can even begin eating I hear a female voice coming from next to me "Sweetie, please don't listen to anything Santiago has said the last two days. He doesn't know what he's talking about, okay?" 

Turning towards aunt Manuela I look in her eyes and see she really means what she's saying so I give her a small nod and smile. 

"Okay everyone, I know it's a little unexpected but we are here now to celebrate the birhtday of our nieta, sobrina, hija y hermana (granddaughter, niece, daughter and sister). So let's make a toast for Maya, who's been with us for two weeks but has already stolen all of our hearts. Happy birthday mi amore." dad says while raising his glass, everyone follows his lead and all at once they say "Happy birthday Maya."

The rest of dinner is spent with my aunts and uncles asking questions and either dad answering them for me or me writing them down for them.

And pretty soon, I had forgotten everything that happened this afternoon.

A/N - fun fact, the way that Maya can't handle change well? I got that from myself :) 
I am really really bad at changing plans I already made.

Fun story; Like 1.5 years ago, a friend of mine invited the friend group over to do something together but when we got there we found out we were going to do something completely different than what she said we were doing. And I literally cried.....
I cried because the plans we had changed.......

So that's a thing Maya and I have in common :)
(I know no one asked okay, just thought it was fun to know :0 )

Anyways, I love everyone reading this and leaving a comment, you guys are amazing and I thought you might want to know something more about me.
My name is Nina, I am 17 years old, I just graduated high school and will be starting university in three weeks, studying history and I am very fucking excited to start, I can't wait :))))

No one asked, I know, but I figured at least one of you would like to know more about the author :)

Anyways, I really have no inspiration for chapters so I would really appreciate it if you gave some ideas :)

I love you <3

xx - Nina