Chapter nineteen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As your kids grow they may forget what you said
but won't forget how you made them feel."
 - Kevin Heath

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

💫 Maya 💫

They're here.
Martín and Hugo. 

I can see them but can't hear them.
I can see their mouths moving but no sound coming out. 

I can't hear anything over the sound of blood pounding in my ears. 

I need the one person who makes me feel completely safe.
I need the one person who feels like home.
I need the one person who can calm me down in any situation.

I need dad
I need dad
I need dad
"I need dad."

They probably didn't even hear me, I know I don't hear them. I couldn't even hear myself.

Every breath is becoming harder, every breath hurts my ribs a little more, every breath takes in a little less air than the one before, every breath increases the black spots at the edge of my vision.

It's only a matter of time before everything becomes dark.

♚ Álvaro ♚

Ever since I came home ten minutes ago I have this ominous feeling, like I know there is something going on that I don't know about. It's 17.10 so the boys' training will be done in 20 minutes. 

That means I will see mi amore in about 40.

I try to get some of my paperwork done but I can't shake this feeling. 

Suddenly, I hear my phone ring, Martín. Isn't he supposed to be training right now?

"Martín? Is everything okay?"
"Dad, come quick, something happened, you need to be here soon, please just come as quick as possible."
"Slow down, what happened?"
"No time, It's Maya, she said she needs you."
"On my way, be there soon."

She 'said' she needs me? Did she talk? Why does she need me? What the hell happened??

I sprint out the door and grab the keys to the Audi rs6. I jump in and drive away as quickly as possible. 

The phone rings again, "Daniel, I can't talk right now, I'm racing to school, something happened to Maya. I don't know the details yet but I will fill you in as soon as possible."

"Okay, I'm going too. Be there as soon as possible." I hang up, I need to focus on not getting in a car crash when mi amore needs me. 

I get to the school in 7 minutes while it would normally take 15-20. Martín didn't say where they were but since it's training time I'm guessing they will be at the rink.

When I get there I see coach standing with Leonardo. The latter with an icepack to his face, it looks to be a broken nose and black eye. What the hell happened here?

"Where are they?" I ask loudly so everyone can hear. "In the toilets here." Sergio says while pointing to the door to his right. 

I sprint towards the door and run through. When I get inside I see Martín and Hugo crouched down in front of the last stall and Mateo standing behind him. 

That's where she is.

The moment I burst through the door they all turn my way. Martín seems to be crying and Mateo has blood on his knuckles, I'm gonna need a lot of explanation from them tonight.