Chapter fifteen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am homesick for a home I am not sure even exists. One where my heart is full. My body loved. And my soul understood." - Melissa Cox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Álvaro 

The rest of the ride home was spent listening to Maya's music. Before we started riding again I texted the family docter, Pedro, to meet me at the house. I also texted Daniel to start looking for Maya's step-father. He needs a few lessons in upbringing. 

When we arrive home, I notice that Maya has started fidgeting with her shirt again. "Mi amore, the docter will be here soon. Do you want to get your headphones so you can listen to music while he checks everything?" She looks at me like I am the smartest person in the world and gives a small nod with tears in her eyes. 

"Okay, go ahead to your room. I will get you when the docter is here, mi amore." She gets out and walks to the front door but I reach it first and hold it open for her.

I watch as Maya walks up the stairs and walk to the home office. After Daniel talked about what happened with her yesterday I was proud. He did good in comforting her and I am glad they came to a compromis. 

Walking into the office Daniel is working on some paperwork at his desk. "I want you to find out everything you can about Maya's step-father and a friend of him called Shawn." 

He looks up with a questioning gaze, "What happened? Did she tell you something?" 
"Her piece of shit step-father sold her to a friend." His jaw hardens "I don't know how many times or what happened exactely but she said nothing came from his 'surprises'. We need to make sure no one uses the word 'surprise' when she is near, she had another panic attack in the car when I told her I had a surprise."

Daniel's face has paled and I can see he wants to break something, but I'm not done "That's not all. She said her step-father is the reason her arm is in a cast. When I asked her if he did anything else she wrote that he took a whip to her back, who would do something like that to a child?
I texted the docter to come here and check her for any infections."

Daniel is thinking for a few seconds before he says anything "She won't handle it well, I forgot to tell her about you or me picking her up on tuesdays so she is probably already on edge. She needs something to distract her when the doctor is here." 

I am amazed by how Daniel aready knows what she feels comfortable with, he has only known her for less than a week and already knows her limits and how to help. "I know, I told her to get her headphones for music when the docter is checking her."

As if he was eaves-dropping, there is a knock on the door. "Come in." When the door opens the docter is standing in the opening, "Mr. Sanchéz, I am here for your daughter." 

"Daniel, why don't you get Maya from her room so I can tell the docter everything I know." It was not a question and he knows it. 

👨‍💼 Daniel 👨‍💼

I know when dad says something in that tone, there is no room for arguing. You can talk about it later but never in the prescence of other people than the ones involved.

Walking upstairs I knock on Maya's door and wait for a few seconds before walking in. She's sitting on her bed with the headphones on. I don't think she heard me, she looks to be in her own little world. 

I just stand there a few seconds, looking at mi pequeña princesa (my little princess). She looks so peaceful like this. 

Walking a little further into the room she looks up and takes off her headphones. "Hey there, mi pequeña princesa. The docter is here, are you ready?" She stands up and gives a small nod. "Okay, let's go downstairs. Dad will meet us there."

Walking downstairs with her I see she keeps fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "It's going to be okay, princesa, dad and I will be there every step of the way." She seems to calm down a little hearing this. 

We reach the door to the small medical room. Before opening I turn to Maya, "Do you want to put your headphones on now? Dad and I will do all the talking, just put on some music and try to relax, okay princesa?"

She nods and takes out her headphones. I catch a glimps of the playlist she clicks, 'To keep you from breaking' and my hearts shatters a little more. The song she puts on is 'Enemies to lovers' by Jushua Kyan Aalampour. I should listen to it soon if it helps my little sister. 

When she has her bluetooth headphones on, I push the button on the back to put it in noice cancelling mode, she doesn't need to relive any of this again. 

I open the door and the docter and dad are waiting for us. When dad sees she already has her headphones on he gives her an encouraging smile and pats on the bed, motioning for her to take a seat. 

"Noice cancelling is on and her music is playing. If you need anything, tell us and we will tell her, entender? (understand)" The docter gives a nod. "I need her to take of her shirt, if it's the ribs and back I need to examine, her shirt needs to come off." 

Dad gives him a small nod and taps Maya on her shoulder, showing her his notes. She gives a nod and takes off her shirt. She immediately closes her eyes as if she is afraid of our reactions. 

The first thing I see is the purple and blue on her ribs and the hand-shaped bruise on her right upper arm. The bastard really hurt her. Next I notice dad's reaction at seeing her back, the tears are welling in his eyes. "Ay Dios mío" (oh my God). 

I slowly walk over, Maya still closing her eyes, and stand next to dad. 

Her back consists of patches of scartissue and half-healed wounds. How has she been laying on her back without screaming in pain. What has she been through to be so unbothered by all this pain. 

During the check-up, I notice it's already 17.30, the boys will be home any minute. They need to know. I turn to dad "The rest is almost home, I will tell them about the trigger word and everything else." 

He looks at me with a soft smile, "Thank you, Daniel, I'm proud of how you handled yesterday." That feels really good to hear.

Walking out to the door I notice Maya's eyes are still shut but there is a tear streaming down her cheek, mi escaso princesa. (my poor princess)

Reaching the lobby I sent Lucas a text to meet me in the lobby, he usually comes home around 17.00. Just as he enters the lobby I hear a car pull up and a minute later the twins and Hugo come in. "Boys, let's have a talk in the livingroom." 

This is not going to go well.

A/N - they knowww, shit's intense. 

Do you like the story so far? I would be eternally gratefull if you could comment and like or recommend this story to some friends <3

I love you <3