Chapter twenty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What doesn't kill you
Fucks you up mentally."
- unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

💫 Maya 💫

I can't remember much of what happened yesterday to be honest.

I can't remember how I apparently talked.
I can't remember how I apparently ran away.
I can't remember how I apparently punched Leo.

What I can remember is how his hand felt like him touching me all over again. And what I can remember is how dad was there, how he was the one who's touch felt comforting. How I was clinging onto him because he felt like the only good thing in a world that was collapsing around me. 

After we got home, dad brought me upstairs and laid down on the bed with me still in his arms. I guess we skipped dinner but I was too exhausted to care. 

When I woke up this morning, I was still safely wrapped in dad's arms and when I tried to sit up he just tightened his grip without opening his eyes and said "just five more minutes, mi amore." 

Not wanting to talk just yet I let it be. When I looked around I saw there were two figures on the couch, one in the chair and another two on a mattres on the floor. They stayed to make sure I am okay.

I love them. 

Laying my head down again, there is a single tear streaking down my face and of course this is the moment dad decides to open his eyes, when he sees the tear he wipes it away with his hand and talkes in a gruff morning voice "What's wrong, mi amore?"

I just slightly shake my head, hoping he won't ask further or ask me to talk again. 

"Let's go eat some breakfast, yeah?" Breakfast sounds amazing. Right on cue my stomach decides to gurgle and dad laughs a little. 

"Sounds like someone is hungry." I hear coming from behind me, it sounds like Daniel but I can't know for sure until I turn around but dad doesn't let me do that. The person behind me also opens the curtains and lets in the morning sunlight. 

Dad sits up and takes me up with him. It feels nice to be comforted, but I kind of need my own space right now. 

I try to slowly get away from his arms but he got it pretty quickly. "Do you want me to let you go or keep holding you, mi amore?" 

I wiggle my arm out from inbetween us and put up one finger. He gives me a smile, but it looks a bit off, it looks more sad than normal, and lets me go. 

Getting out of bed, I see all my brothers are already up and looking towards me, making me turn down my gaze. 

"Princesa, why don't you go freshen up and we will wait for you downstairs for breakfast? Sounds good?" I turn around and see it was indeed Daniel standing at the side of the bed and give a small nod while I get out of bed and into the bathroom. 

After a quick shower where my ribs were hurting quite a bit more than the past week, probably from all the heavy breathing I did yesterday, I get down in a fresh set of comfy clothes, dark blue shorts with a black oversized sweater that just appeared in my closet last wednesday evening. 

When I get downstairs and enter the kitchen I see the time is 9.45, I slept in today. Everyone is already seated at the kitchen counter while dad and Daniel are standing on the other side, making what looks and smells like american pancakes.