Chapter Two - Girl Time

"Just cut up the sausage for me Chef Kali." Jaz stated while stirring the pasta sauce.

We are currently cooking dinner for self care Sunday. We decided freshman year that Sundays would be declared as our self care Sundays. When we are not going home to our family's on the weekend of course.

I cut the sausage up before holding up the knife. "Now hold on what is Shayla doing." I look at Shayla just watching me cut the sausage.

Shayla is our very outgoing friend. She's the reason why you don't need an ice breaker. It's because she is the ice breaker. Shayla gives our group the energy. But also turn us introverts (Jaz and I) into extroverts.

Shayla is mixed. Her mom is black and her dad is white for those of you who were wondering. She always gets asked this question then gets praised when they find out her mom is the black parent.

She placed a finger on her lips alerting me not to tell.

Jaz grabbed another cutting board placing onions on there. "I forget all about you Shayla. How about you cut these onions." She said after tapping her shoulder lightly.

Shayla frowned "Who even puts onions in there pasta? Y'all are wrong." She groaned.

I can't even deny that statement because foreal who puts onions in there pasta? But I've learned to never question Jaz when it comes to cooking because it always end up hitting every time.

"So how are y'all feeling about these classes so far?" I question.

We always use self care Sunday to catch up with each other.

"Physically exhausting. I was finally able to lay down yesterday and watch some law and order. But I felt guilty about it the whole time." Jaz stated.

Shayla's eyes watered as she finish cutting the last bit of the onion. "I just feel like I should always be studying and if I take one break and do horrible on a test I would blame it on that one break." Shayla stated with tears in her eyes.

I think from the onions, but you never know the tears could be from thinking about nursing school. I wouldn't be surprised.

I slide the cut sausage into a bowl. "Honestly guys I feel the same way." I stated handing the bowl to Jaz so she can cook the sausage.

I placed my hands on my hips turning to them, "Can y'all believe we use to cry in anatomy thinking we would never get into the program?" I questioned.

"Now we are basically crying because we are in the program." I chuckled.

"We definitely got what we asked for." Shayla laughed as we all nodded our heads agreement.

Jaz finished cooking the sausage stirring all the ingredients of the pasta for the finish product. "We're done girls." Jaz sung. "Let's eat."

We all grabbed a plate covering it with pasta and garlic bread, before sitting at the dining table.

Shayla was the first one to take a bite of the pasta. "I don't even taste the onions." She stated wearing a confused expression.

Jaz winked her eye at Shayla before taking a bite of the pasta herself. I took a bite of mine as well.

And what I tell you? It hits every time.

Jaz furrowed her eyebrows and looked as though she was connecting pieces together . "Umm you okay?" I asked.

"We're did you go last night? I remember passing out on the couch. Then waking up to you walking in the door." Jaz questioned.