Chapter Five - Family Ties

"Why do I always have to be the store runner. You never ask Jordan." I complain to my mom as I place the groceries on the counter.

This weekend I decided that I would go back home since Jaz and Shayla also went home for the weekend. Jaz told me last week they were throwing her mom a surprise birthday party. Shayla just missed her family.

"Because he does it while your away at college. So I have to use you while I can." She stated as she helped me unbag the groceries.

Jordan decide to attend Johnson technical college majoring in megatronics. Which is only 10 minutes from our house. So he still lives at home here with our parents.

After graduating high school Jordan worked at the Nike shoe store. Then at the beginning of this year he decided he wanted to further his education and that's were technical college came in.

I internally roll my eyes. Because if I was to actually do it I'll probably be 6ft under, even as an technical adult.

"Ha Ha." My younger brother Jordan teased as he entered the kitchen.

He's only a year younger than me so he's 19. While he's younger he is definitely taller than me by a long shot so of course people always assume he's the older sibling.

"Jordan leave her alone, and place these groceries were they belong while us women cook." My mom shooed him. And I stuck out my tongue at him behind her back.

When she turned back around he pointed at me "look" he urged. But I was already grabbing the ingredients to cook at this point.

She waved her hand dismissing him.

That's what he gets.

Mom decided that today we were going to make some macaroni, meatloaf, and mashed potatoes. She said that she wanted me to have a nice home cooked meal after eating the school cafeteria food so often.

"So update me Kals. You don't call your momma as often as you should." She scolded me while cutting up the potatoes.

I grabbed the macaroni noodles and cheese "I know mom. School has been crazy but I know that's no excuse." I say as I began making the macaroni.

"I assume nursing school has been time consuming." She states.

"Very much so." I confirm.

"Well sweetie I believe in you and I'm proud of you everyday. You know you can always call me even to complain too. I don't mind." She says softly.

"Thank you mom." I respond smiling lightly.

It fills my heart to know she's proud of me.

I looked around after noticing dad wasn't here. "Where's dad?" I question curiously.

"He told me to tell you he's running a little late from work. But he would be home before dinner. He should be here shortly." She responded.

After we finished cooking dinner dad indeed did arrive giving me a bone crushing hug. Then Jordan and I began setting the table while mom was making everyone's plates.

I really did miss our family dinners.

We all sat down eating our food, which is delicious might I add. I forgot how much I missed home cooked meals. My mom's home cooked meals to be in particular.

"So Kals how's school going?" My dad asked before he took another bite of his meatloaf.

"It's going pretty well. I'm just still working on the time management part." I say taking a sip of my water.

"Yeah because you sholl don't call your dad. You know I'm only getting older by the day." He said slyly.

"Dad mom has already beat me up about it. I'm going to do better on reaching out. I promise." I responded sincerely.