Chapter Three - Scrub

"Long time no see Carter." Kayden smiled dribbling the ball.

He returned from his Florida game yesterday. After partying with the girls yesterday night. I decided I would play ball with Kayden today since I finally have a free day.

I dropped my keys, phone, and book bag on the bench before jogging up to him stealing the ball from his hands. "How was the game? I heard y'all won." I asked shooting a three.

"Woooo and she's back." Kayden cupped his mouth yelling.

I ran to the ball grabbing it throwing it to him. We are currently getting some practice shoots in before we do our regular 1 v 1 game.

He then jumped and shot a three. "I mean you already know. Ain't no competition." He swung his hand as if it was light work.

That boys confidence on the court is something that should be studied.

No seriously.

I mean he's shooting guard for a reason.

"Enough of the three's show me a dunk." I motioned towards the goal.

Everyone always praises Kayden for his dunking. You will hear the collective oh's and see the simultaneous standing of people in response of them.

He's good I can't lie. There has been rumors that he may get a couple of NBA scouts at the games. There has also been rumors that he's already had some.

He dribbled the ball turning his head towards me "Ask and you shall receive." He ran to the goal dunking.

I covered my mouth. "Oh shittt that's my boy." I squatted placing my finger up as if I was recoding him.

He chuckled. Running his tongue of his lips.

"Ya know. Ya know." He brushed his shoulders off boosting himself.

That's when I noticed he got a new tattoo. Kayden already had a tatted sleeve on one arm. How did he even find room to add another tat?

I pointed at his arm "you got another tat?"

He looked down at his arms as if he forgot it was there. "Oh yeah I got it last week." He stated before walking over to me so I could get a better view.

Self made.

I looked into his eyes "Self made?"

"Yeah it means having achieved success by your own efforts. You know I'm waking up every day heading to classes, practices, and games. I make and choose my own future. Everything I do is the pretense for what my future could be." He stated.

"I like it. It has a meaningful purpose. Who would've thought you could be deep" I teased.

"But really, I'm surprised you even found a place to put it." He chuckled. Dribbling the ball again.

He then handed the ball to me looking down at me "How much longer are you going to stall. We playing 1 v 1 or what?"

I shoot a three then turned to look at him knowing it was going to be nothing but net. And it was.

"Let's get it." I stepped backwards to retrieve the ball.

He crossed his arms nodded his head while smiling like a proud dad.

♠️♠️♠️

"Tomatoes on a burger is crazy." I scrunched up my nose in disgust.

"Tomatoes on a burger is normal." Kayden stated confused. "In fact it may be more abnormal that you have none on your burger." He pointed.