4. the shopping trip

"Oh darling, don't you ever grow up"
——- Never Grow Up, Taylor Swift

MADI WAS FORCED TO SIT in the back of the car with Conrad. Who was drunk.

She hated drunk people, especially the kind-of drunk Conrad was that night.

Conrad Fisher was a miserable drunk. Everytime he drank, he would always say out of pocket unnecessary things.

For example, one time Conrad had gotten so drunk. Madi was trying to help him back into the house because he kept stumbling. And he just kept bringing up how invisible Madi is, and that Mom and Dad love me and Jere more.

Madi tried to shake it off, but she was hurt. Because drunk words are sober thoughts.

Madi looked over at her brother, he looked like he was in a different world. She almost felt bad for him.

Belly made her way to the car, and with her was Cam. Madi's heart sank.

Belly said something along the lines of how Cam would drive her home instead as Jeremiah scoffs.

"Belly your not getting a ride from a stranger." He says as Madi slumps into her seat, absolutely miserable. "I'm Cam.... Cameron." Cam smiles awkwardly, trying to ease away the obvious tension everyone in the car is radiating.

"Your names Cam Cameron?" Jere asks sarcastically. Cam shakes his head, "Just Cam."

"Belly, get in the car." Jere says, he was getting tired and moody.

Cam had finally acknowledged that Madi was in the back seat, "Mads-" he was interrupted by Belly giving him a straight kiss on the lips.

Madi looked defeated, both Conrad and Jere could see that.

Belly managed to say her goodbyes to Cam, and got into the car. She looked lovestruck, she couldn't stop smiling and her cheeks were bleeding red.

Jeremiah started the car and was about to drive off as the red and blue sirens appeared behind them.

"Shit." They all mumbled.

WHEN THEY GOT HOME laurel was furious with them, Susannah was fast asleep as Laurel scolded all 5 of them.

Laurel came at Conrad the hardest, since he was the oldest and was drunk out of his mind.

Madi felt horrible, she could tell how disappointed Laurel was in her and she just wanted to cry.

Laurel then sent all of them to their rooms but held Conrad back.

As Madi entered her room, the tears started running. She shut her door and just sat there. Crying quietly, like she always did.

She was crying for several reasons, Laurel was disappointed in her, she realized just how invisible she was, and how her heart was completely heartbroken.

IT WAS THE MORNING AFTER and Madi had woken up very early, earlier then she normally would of.