9- summer nights

MADI WAS IN the kitchen of her house—mentally preparing herself to enter the dining room.

She was having a great day, rekindling a friendship, baking, giving Belly her present—and getting absolutely bodied by her.

But, it was all going to be ruined. It was Susannah's yearly birthday dinner for Belly, she also did it for Madi— but Madi wanted her birthday to be different this summer.

Susannah would usually create a little them every year— this year was Midsommar. Madi put on her flower crown and took a deep breath.

She heard her mom yell for her from the other room, "Coming!" she yelled back and got herself together.

As she walked into the dining room—he was there, giggling with Belly. Madi wanted to lunch something, but she didn't.

Besides, it was her fault, technically. Belly would of broken up with him—but Madi didn't let him. He didn't deserve that, not after last summer.

She took the empty seat next to Jere, which was right across from Cam.

Susannah started handing out plates and cutting up steak—she had finally gotten to Cams plate, "Oh, Mom he's vegan. He doesn't eat meat." madi spoke, everyone looked at her—wondering why and how she knows that.

Cam coughed, "Yea, I'm so sorry. It completely slipped my mind to tell Belly.", he smiled awkwardly. Susannah smiled back, "Don't worry about it sweetie, Laurel made some of her traditional soup. Here take some veggies though," she started scooping vegetables into his plate.

Laurel started scooping soup in a bowl for Cam, "Here Cam, this is miyeok-guk", she handed the bowl to him, "It's a Korean birthday tradition, have you ever tried it?"

Cam nodded his head, "I haven't, but it looks really good. Thank you." he smiled.

Madi couldn't help but stare—she looked back and forth between Belly and Cam. Her heart broke over and over again. That should be her, Madi should have been the one to invite cam over, not her. Madi had regretted loads of decisions she made last summer—but there was no fixing them. So, she was stuck with the regret.

Madi continued cutting her steak and eating her vegetables, "So, why don't you eat meat Cam Cameron?", jere asked abruptly-Madi rolled her eyes at the stupid nickname cam was now stuck with, "Uh, the meat industry is, like, the number one contributor to global warming," he said, "and I just like animals" cam smiled and shrugged.

"Just don't come for my leather jacket," Taylor laughed—which Steven replied with a snarky comment.

Taylor Jewel—she was Belly's bestfriend from her hometown. Taylor reminded Madi of her bestfriend, Joss.

Jere laughed, "You know, uh, actually Belly eats meat," he continued, "So you let her kiss you dig those lips?" Steven and jere started laughing hysterically—it really wasn't that funny.

Belly kicked Jere under the table, "Guys." the boys just continued laughing.

They kept instigating—asking and saying ridiculous things to both Cam and Belly.

But, Madi spaced out. She could care less about Jere and Steven being completely idiots—until Cam started going in for a kiss with Belly.

Madi spit her water out—unfortunately she was drinking it right when Cam went to kiss Belly. Impeccable timing.

The water went everywhere—and everyone just stared at Madi. "Sweetie, you okay?" Susannah asked, running over with napkins to clean the mess up. "Yea, I'm fine.." madi said, looking directly at Cam.