9| Runaway

A. Devereaux

I remembered everything from last night.

I woke up with a blaring hangover and saw that Charles was hugging me close to his chest. My heart was beating so fast that I felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. Why is it so easy to just lie here and watch him sleep so peacefully.

"Charles," I said softly but he seemed too fast asleep. He must've stayed up so late taking care of me. A tear fell down on my face as I remembered how he took care of me. He didn't even disrespect me when he washed my body, and put some clothes on me. He cared about cooling my temperature down and it was so different. It's so unfair to him how much I push and push against him but he still took care of me.

I can never believe anyone would be good to me. And if they would like my grandfather...and him, I'm going to lose them in some way. I'm going to lose Charles if I let him get too close. More tears pricked my eyes when even in his sleep, he would be subconsciously stroking my back. Why do you care for me so much? There's nothing interesting about me Charles.

There's nothing to care about me. I slowly slipped out of his arms, and muttered prayers seeing that he didn't wake up. I took my dress from the floor and felt some relief seeing my phone was in the small side pocket.

My heart felt heavy leaving his room, I just had to get one last look on him. I couldn't help it, with the way he was sleeping so peacefully, I went up to him and gave him a kiss on the forehead.

I stroked his face and kissed his forehead again. "You made me feel cared for," I said softly, "And I haven't felt that in a long time. You have a good heart Leclerc. I don't deserve it at all."

I left the room, with a heavy heart. My heart was beating so fast that it incapacitated me. It was too much, what I was feeling. I needed to take it away before it messed with my racing.

I went down to the lobby and asked for another key and as soon I was able to get back in my room, I closed the door and let out a deep breath I seemed to have been holding.

I looked at my phone and looked for a contact. I immediately called and I know that I was going to regret this later but I had to runaway from all of this right now.

Artemis: Hey, about that date...I know you didn't win but I'll take you up on it. Meet at that café near the track?

____