22| Principal Matters

C. Leclerc

Mon dieu. I do not like the look on Fred's face right now. Actually, I can't really tell what expression his face is doing right now.

"WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!," Fred exclaimed as he slumped into his office chair in disbelief, "I MEAN, you two HATED EACH OTHER."

"I...team bonding?," Artemis tried to suggest and I nearly laughed at her words. She is so terrible at explaining herself.

"Team bonding?! I asked you two to get along not GET OFF ON EACH OTHER!," Fred said, but he didn't seem mad, he just seemed surprised. He let out a big sigh and asked, "Are you two using protection?"

"We are! We are! Mostly-," I blurted and Artemis elbowed me to which Fred just groaned. He gave out another big sigh and warned, "This better not affect your performance on the track, alright? Ferrari needs this comeback and I want both of you to bring it, alright?"

"Artemis you already missed a lot of the G-force training sessions and reaction time as well, I don't want you breaking your neck out there," Fred scolded, "And by the looks of things, I see where your time has been. I don't want anymore mishaps with the media, I will be told whatever the two of you are planning to say. Most importantly, no mishaps on the race track. Understood?"

"Yes, I'll push like hell, you know I do Fred," Artemis reassured and I nodded, "I still want the championship too, for my dad, Jules, and me...I'll win that championship."

Artemis looked at me with fire in her eyes as if it was just in the beginning, way back during practice testing. Fred looked at both of us and let out another big sigh, I swear this man isn't running out of sighs, "I believe in you two, um, just don't do anything stupid. I'm not going to stop you from seeing each other but please, make this year memorable for Ferrari."

"We will, so are we going to do those practice laps or what?," Artemis said with a smile and I laughed and said, "I'm going to make you cry on that track princess."

"Not if I make you first."

___

A. Devereaux

The days of practice laps came to an end. It was finally the start of qualifying. The hot Australian atmosphere was already making me sweat with my full race suit on. I got in my car and put my helmet on. Charles had already started his flying lap after warming up for a bit so now it was my turn to prepare for mine.

The mechanics asked me if I was ready and I nodded. I grabbed the steering wheel and attached it. I took a deep breath and exhaled it out immediately. I need a better result after my DNF at Saudi. I can have it all without fumbling, I'll show them.

Immediately, as I got on the track, I heard Riccardo talk to me.

Riccardo: Alright Artemis, I just need you to warm up the tires first, we'll get a better grip that way.

Artemis: I already know that Mr. Riccardo Adami. We've been at it for two races now, this is the third one.

Riccardo: Hey, just making sure your head is still on after that crazy press conference.

Artemis: Hey! I'm good, I've got my head in the game I promise.

Riccardo: Alright, tell me when you're ready for your flying lap and I'll guide you through it.

Artemis: Copy.

I let out another quick exhale as I went into turn 1, barely getting into the inside line. Focus Artemis, focus. As I tried to get into the next turn I nearly hit Kevin Magnussen.