35| Checkered Flag

December 07, 2024: Abu Dhabi

A. Devereaux

"Jasmine you can't be seriously suggesting that?," I exclaimed as I stared at my grandfather's racing suit, fire retardants, and my helmet that she was holding.

"You said it yourself, you've got the okay already from the doctor and I know you've been itching to race so do it! It's the last race of the season," she offered but I was hesitant. The last time I was in a car was when I crashed.

"Jasmine I don't think I can-."

"Yes you can! And besides, Charles will win this championship if he wins here in Abu Dhabi and he drives way better with you on track," Jasmine tried to convince me but still I said, "But you're a good driver too! You're a good teammate! You've been helping get him all those wins in the second half of this season."

"But, this last race will mean so much more for Charles when you're racing with him!," Jasmine said as she grabbed me so quickly to bring me to her driver's room.

When she finally slammed the door behind us, she continued to say, "Charles loves racing with you and besides, let's end this season after all those stupid media frenzies and crashes with a good note!"

I stared at the racing suit and helmet and remembered how good it felt to race. I closed my eyes and remembered my first F1 race.

___

It's now or never.

Time to secure that win.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

Then there was a pause. All of the red lights went and it was time to start. My heart skipped a beat as I made way for a perfect start, and it was perfect because I felt myself soar with the car.

___

I smiled and looked at Jasmine, "Thank you, for giving me the opportunity to end this season right."

I gave her a big hug and she said as she hugged me back, "Thank you for opening a door for women in F1 even when nobody liked you at the beginning. You persevered and you showed everyone that you are worthy and that a little girl can dream to be a great F1 driver."

I smiled and quickly put everything on. Finally, when I was ready, I grabbed the helmet and gave Jasmine one last hug before I head to where the team meeting was being held before qualifying.

I almost felt knew in my suit. Is this how my grandfather felt after crashing and coming back to racing? It felt like I was being reborn. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

As soon as I made my presence, Charles was the first to spot me. It was almost like he knew whenever I entered the room. A smile appeared on his face when he saw what I was wearing. As if on cue, my engineer Riccardo and Fred looked at me as well. When they saw me, they looked delightfully surprised.

Charles was the first one to come up to me and ask, "What are you doing in a racing suit princess?" I gave him a knowing smile then gave him a kiss on the cheek then said, "What do you think? I'm going to make you work for the championship golden boy."

A wave of nostalgia hit Charles as he realised what I was doing then he asked, "You sure you're okay. I don't want you to get hurt again. I don't know what I'll do if you do." I rolled my eyes and kissed him again on the cheek, "I'm not made of porcelain, and besides, let me make this championship memorable."