3.9- partings

"HAPPY GRADUATION DAY!" Avery exclaimed happily as she opened the curtains in her bedroom to let the sun in

She couldn't say she was necessarily excited about the boys graduating, because it meant Logan was leaving. But she was still proud -and a bit surprised- that they were graduating.

Colin squinted at the sudden light before sitting up. He looked at Avery and smiled, her happiness was contagious.

"Good morning to you too" Colin said as Avery walked over to him.

The girl gave him a quick kiss before pulling him out of bed "come on, I made breakfast"

"It's not muffins, right?" He smirks

Avery gives him a pout and rolls her eyes "No, it's not muffins" she grumbles

***

After the graduation ceremony, the group went out for drinks.

"I still question how you guys got into Yale, so the fact that you graduated is beyond me...but congratulations" Rosemary said, raising her glass.

"Hey, I may act like an idiot but I'm not stupid" Colin argued

"Well..." Avery said dragging out the word

Colin nudged her "you're supposed to be on my side"

***
Avery had been in an exceptionally good mood lately and felt like nothing would be able to kill it. So, she decided to attend Friday night dinner. Avery may not have had the best relationship with her grandparents, but she still loved them. She felt like she needed to cherish the moments she had with them, because she didn't when it would be the last.

The youngest Gilmore had no interest in seeing Rory, but the excitement on Emily's voice when Avery called to let her know she was coming was enough to deter the negative feelings for at least one night.

Avery walked up to her grandparents front porch and before she got the chance to ring the doorbell, the door swung open to reveal Emily Gilmore.

"Sorry, I'm late grandma. There was a wreck so traffic was a nightmare" Avery apologized as she stepped inside.

Emily gave her granddaughter a hug "don't worry about it, I'm just glad you're here. We've missed you. Come, the others are already in the dining room"

The two walked into the dining room and Avery greeted her mother and Ri hard before taking a seat.

"How have you been, Avery?" Richard asked her

Avery smiled at the man "I've been great grandpa. How about you?"

"Oh you know, same old same old" Richard told her

"How are you girls handling the boys graduation?" Emily changed the subject

"Uh, Logan leaves in a couple of days for London so I'm a bit bummed. But I'm happy for him" Rory responded

Emily nodded and turned her attention to Avery "what about you, Avery? You know, long distance relationships can be quite difficult"

Avery furrowed her brows "I'm sure Rory and Logan will be fine"

"I'm talking about you and Colin. I mean Paris is really far-" Emily started

"What are you talking about?" Avery asked

Emily and Richard shared a confused glance before the latter turned to his youngest granddaughter "Colin's father has a job lined up for him in Paris. Did he not tell you?"

Avery's face immediately fell "No, he didn't"

***

Avery walked into her apartment and saw her friends standing in the kitchen laughing. They all looked over when they heard the front door open and close, and their smiles faltered when they saw Avery standing there with a hurt look on her face.

"Hey, peaches. I take it dinner didn't go very well?" Rosemary asked from beside Finn

"No it was actually pretty good. Nobody fought." Avery muttered

Rosemary furrowed her brows "then what happened? Why do you look so upset?"

Rosemary's question went unanswered as Avery shifted her focus to Colin. The look on her face told him everything he needed to know

"Avery-"

"You're leaving? You're moving to Paris and didn't tell me?" Avery asked, voice cracking.

"I didn't want to tell until it was a sure thing." He told her as he gently grabbed her wrist and pulled her into her bedroom, so they could talk in private.

"Well, is it a sure thing? Are you leaving? Colin, please tell me you aren't leaving" Avery said as he closed the door

Colin sighed and looked down at the girl. His heart broke at the look on her face and he hated that he was the one responsible for it

"Yeah, I'm leaving" he said quietly

Those words were enough for the tears that Avery had been trying so desperately to keep at bay to fall.

"Believe me Angel, the last thing I want to do is leave you. But, right now my father isn't giving me much of a choice." He told her

"When do you leave?" Avery asked quietly

"I have to leave by the end of next week"

Avery just wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face into his chest.

Why must all good things come to an end?