3.13- Unto the breach

Lorelai reluctantly gave Logan her blessing

Lorelai reluctantly gave Logan her blessing. He was going to propose, he was set on it. Rory was the one he wanted.

Avery sat on the couch of her apartment as Logan paced in front of her explaining his plan to her.

"I'm gonna do it at your guys' graduation party" He said

Avery nodded "That soon? You don't want to wait until after graduation?"

"No. Avery I know you and Rory don't get along, but-" he started

"That's an understatement" Avery interrupted

"But, I want you to be happy for me. If everything goes as planned, I want to be my best man...well woman" Logan says

Avery let out a small laugh "Logan, I'm on your side, I always will be. My relationship with Rory doesn't determine yours. If you're happy, I'm happy"

***

Graduation was approaching fast, but an occasion like this can't go uncelebrated and in the eyes of Emily Gilmore, that meant an unnecessarily extravagant party.

Avery stood in her room getting ready for the party when she heard a knock on the front door

"Rosie can you get that?" She called out

Rosemary didn't answer and the knocking continued. Avery sighed, putting down her curling iron and going to answer the door.

Another knock came

"Dude, chill the hell-" Avery froze when she opened the door.

"Huh, I was expecting a warmer welco-" Colin was cut off as Avery threw her arms around him, causing him to stumble a bit.

The boy chuckled whilst wrapping him arms tightly around her waist.

"I missed you" she mumbled into his chest

"I missed you too, Angel"

***

Lorelai's face brightened slightly when she saw Avery arrive hand in hand with Colin. Avery was laughing at something Colin had said, smiling wider than ever.

The moment gave Lorelai a sense of Deja vu. It brought her back to the night she first met Colin. As a mother, there's always a feeling in the back of your mind telling you that the person your child is dating simply isn't good enough.

Lorelai never had that feeling with Colin. He treated Avery like a princess, like an angel. Lorelai knew that as long as Avery had Colin she would be okay.

"Hi mom" Avery greeted, giving her mom a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi honey" Lorelai said back before turning to her daughter's boyfriend. "Hi Colin. It's good to see you again"

Colin smiled at Lorelai "it's good to see you too"

***

Avery stood with her head leaning against Colin's arm as she watched Logan walk up onto the stage. This was it.

"If I could, I'd also like to say a few words about my girlfriend of the past three years. You amaze me, Rory Gilmore, every day -- everything that you do, everything that you are." Logan starts

Avery looks towards her parents who look like they're almost in physical pain watching the scene unfold.

"This past year, I realized that I don't know a lot more than I thought I knew, if that makes sense. I'm a little bit nervous. I didn't think I would be. What I'm trying to say is that... I don't know a lot. But I know that I love you... and I want to be with you... forever."

Colin looks down at Avery "is he doing I what I think he's doing?"

Avery didn't respond, her eyes glued to the scene in front of her as Logan gets down on one knee.

"Rory Gilmore...Will you marry me?"

Rory's face falters "Um... um, wow. Um, wow. I -- wow."

"Is there a yes in between those wows?" Logan asked her.

Avery kept her eyes on Rory. "She's not gonna do it" she muttered

"Um, I'm just... I'm so...surprised. I-I just -- um, would -- um... w-will you come talk to me outside?" Rory says

Rory and Logan walk outside as the rest of the guests break out into murmurs and the music picks back up.

"That was...something" Colin said making Avery let out a small laugh.

***

Tristan and Avery stood on the Yale grounds in their caps and gowns.

"You ready for this?" Avery asked

Tristan nodded but he didn't say anything causing Avery to nudge him slightly.

"Hey. You, me, Yale. What do you say?" The girl said

Tristan looked down at her and smiled "You, me, Yale. Let's graduate"

***

After the ceremony, Avery was talking to her mom until her eyes landed on Colin in the distance. She excused herself and ran over to him.

"Congratulations" Colin said, wrapping his arms around Avery's waist and lifting her off the ground slightly.

"Thanks! We're all gonna go to-" Avery stopped when she saw Colin glance at his watch "is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's just-"

"You have to leave don't you?" Avery asked as a frown formed on her face.

Colin sighed and nodded. He placed a kiss on Avery's forehead before tightening his grip on her waist, not ready to let go again.

***

All three Gilmore girls got out of Lorelai's jeep and starting making their way up to the front door before Lorelai stopped the twins, her gaze focused on Avery.

"Take them" Lorelai said, holding out the car keys.

"What?" Avery furrowed her brows

Lorelai sighed and shook the keys "the keys to the Jeep. Take 'em"

Avery shook her head "why?"

"Your car isn't here" Lorelai explained

"Why do I need a car at all?" The youngest questioned

"Avery"
"Mom"

Lorelai grabbed Avery's hand and placed the keys in it. "Go get him"

Avery stared at her mom for a second before wrapping her in a hug and getting in the car. She quickly pulled out of the drive and made her way to the airport. Hoping she would make it in time.