Chapter 7

The next few days were relatively uneventful for someone forever surrounded by drama. It had been a quiet few days with Ric, hunkering down and researching on John Gilbert in order to stop him from having any more kind of leverage against them. Alex gives Ric Damon's number, and he makes the phone call with the information that they have discovered.

"Hello?" The voice of Damon asks in confusion.

"Hey, it's Alaric Saltzman." Ric responds, keeping his tone light.

"Before I hang up, how did you get this number?" He wonders over the phone.

"Me, listen, we've been doing some digging on Elena's Uncle. You interested?" Alex speaks up, taking control of the conversation.

"We're gonna talk about this later. What kind of digging?" Damon questions, now interested in the conversation.

"Turns out Alex is a very proficient digger. Some of the stuff she done was definitiely not legal." Alaric begins to explain but is interrupted by Damons questions.

"Well, did you find anything?" Damon says.

"Well, I ran a track on John's cell records. He was getting a call from another, the same number Elena dialled to get Isobel. And then that number was disconnected-" Alex gets cut off once more.

"Isobel knows john. Whatever. We knew that." Damon deadpans,

"Right, well. After that he started getting calls from a new number and I ran a geotrack, got the address. Its an apartment in grove hill." Alex explains, finally getting his undivided attention.

"Isobel's in grove hill?" Damon wonders.

"We don't know, I thought was could take a look and see what we find. Three musketeers back together, Y'know." Alex says with excitement in her voice.

"I'm not going with Ric, he tried to kill me." HE protests.

"Yeah, will you did kill me." He argues, but the conversation gets cut short as they are put on hold by Damon. "Dick." Ric mutters under his breath.

The call picks up again after Damon speaking first. "You drive. Pick me up in an hour."

"Done." Alaric and Alex say in unison and the call ends. Alaric looks to Alex with a little apprehension.

Alex could read that look with ease as it is one she has given many times. "I can look after myself, Ric. I'll be okay. I'm coming with you."

"But you don't have something to bring you back to like." Ric protests not wanting her to get hurt.

"I don't need it. I'm too good to get killed." She smirks, ending the conversation as she leaves the kitchenette, getting prepared for their little journey.

<<<~~~>>>

Alex arrived to the apartment, questioning half of her life choices after that dreadful car journey with the biggest awkward silence she could imagine. She was glad she was driving, giving her at least something to do. They arrive at the apartment and make their way to the door.

"This is it here. The records show it was paid 3 months in advance." Alaric reveals as they stop outside.

"This is where it gets tricky. I may or may not be able to get it." Damon reveals, looking at the door in front of them.

"Yeah, how does that work? You always have to be invited in?" Ric wonders, looking at Damon.

"By the owner or the person of entitlement. Short-term rentals and hotels are a bit of a grey area, you gotta play it by ear." Damon begins to explain as Alex places her hand on the door, using her strength to force the handle down and the door to open. Lucky Ric didn't see as he was focused on his conversation with Damon.