NEW FRIENDS

Jackson

"And who would you be?" I asked the girl that stood in front of me, her head reached my neck, she wasn't very short. She smiled and said, "I am Rachel, I am 22 what about you?"

"About me?" I said confused. 

"Your age, I mean." She asked and I replied with 23. "May I have your number?" Rachel questioned and I pretended to think for a while, "Hmm....I guess you can." She smiled and handed me her cellphone; it had a cover which was brown colored and had the picture of a cup of coffee. "You like coffee?" I asked.

"Love." She corrected me, I smiled and added my number to her mobile, saved as, 'Jackson Frensby.' I am not a creep alright. She excused herself soon after allowing me to continue work. She left an unconscious smile on my face before she left.

Every hour of the weekend passed with me doing something at the store or trying to catch up with all the college work I missed because of joining late. The same night when I was about to go to bed, I got a message from an unknown number. 

??- Hey, Jackson, I just wanted to ask, are you still in college?

Me- Who would you be?

??- Rachel?

Me- Oh, hey, Yup, I am in college but why were you asking. 

Rachel Karling- Just asking. Ok, then good night.

Me- Good night.

It was a short conversation, I continued to go to sleep after that.

It was morning of the next day; it was another holiday for some reason. I did not have work and nothing to do so nothing was better than sitting home and making another painting.

I walked to the corner of my room, where stood a canvas stand with different types of colors, brushes and some done-in-the-past artworks. I loved painting and had the wish to be an artist, I had a page on Instagram for that and was having quite a number of fans.

I sat there and painted whatever came in my mind.

Almost two hours later Dan knocked on the door and came in, "What are you doing bro?" He asked and shut himself when he saw what I was doing. "What else was I even expecting?" He walked closer and have a better look at the canvas. "Woah, this is what you call a scenery! But what place is this?" I looked at the incomplete painting with the brush still in my hand and thought for a while.

"I don't know, I just thought of this and made it." I said, it was unusual for me to paint something I had never seen but today I drew a scenery of a place that looked like a dense forest in the middle of which there was a clearing that led to a lake. I shrugged it and told him to leave s that I could finish the work. "C'mon you never talk! Let's go out, it's a weekend and you're still spending your time doing this." He whined and tried to pull me away from the painting causing the red color on the brush to smear all over the work.

"OH MY GOD!" Both of us screamed with horror, just with different intentions, he screamed with worry that I would kill him because he ruined my painting, I screamed because he ruined my painting.

"What did you do Dan? I told you so many times to be careful when I'm painting.:" I stated with a serious face. "Sorry." He mumbled. I sighed, "I swear I have never felt so angry in my life." He looked at my face like he was scanning me.

"You seem calm." 

"I am calm but angry, I don't have aggressive anger like you, now I would prefer you get out of this room." He did not hesitate to turn around and leave.

After spending an hour trying to fix the red line on the painting, I got up from the seat and left the room for the first time since the last four hours. "Dan!" I called for him, but he did seem to be there in the house. I dialed his number, but he did not pick up, instead he sent me a message.

Dan- Don't worry about me, spend your time with your canvas, you don't have friends to spend your weekends with, right?

I knew I messed up again, why the hell do I give so less attention to people around me? I hit my head understanding the sarcasm in his message, he was upset with me. Though, I knew that he was the one who ruined my painting, and I was the one who was supposed to be angry, but it was also obvious that he just wanted to have a hangout which I brutally denied.

Me- Where are you, bro? I am sorry, I was focused on my painting, and I did not notice you leaving.

He didn't see the message; I locked the door and went downstairs for maybe walking around and hoping to see him.

I reached a nearby park with my hands in my pocket and while enjoying the evening weather. Outside the park and across the street, there was an ice-cream stall and saw him there, while buying ice-cream for a blonde girl with big eyes, Jasmine.

He smiled at her, I smiled to myself, I knew what to do if he didn't wish to talk to me after she left.

"You both are the people who make me believe that friends can fight even more than lovers, and that you don't become gay if you are upset with someone of the same gender." The person chuckled; I turned around startled; it was Charles. "What are you doing here?" He shook his head like saying 'nothing.'

"Of course you can fight with people close to you. Who else will you fight with if it's not the people that have a meaning in your life." Then, we witnessed Jasmine leaving the stall and waving a bye to Dan. We walked over to him after he was alone.

"Why are you here? Go, hangout with your paint brushes."

"Why, you don't want to hang out with your friends after your fabulous date with Jasmine?" I said, sarcastic but smiling.

"JACKSON FRENSBY, YOU PITCH!" Dan stood up and darted towards me, but I slid behind Charles causing Dan to change his hand from a fist as he had no intention of punching Charles and that resulted in both of them hugging with me standing behind them. They let go of each other and Charles was about to speak when we were interrupted by a presence.

"Hey Jackson." I heard a melodious voice calling for me, I turned my head to the side and saw my very new friend, Rachel Karling with someone unfamiliar. "Hi." I said and the boys looked at me confused. "Who is that, Jackson?" Dan questioned. "I can answer that myself." Rachel said and held her hand forward for Dan to shake.

"I am Rachel Karling, Jackson's new friend, I wouldn't mind being your new friend as well, and this is my best friend, Yoora kilded. We were just hanging out as it's a weekend and saw someone familiar, so I brought her to have an introduction."

"Some best friend actually wish to give each other attention unlike some betrayers." 

-----------------------

Min Hanna