#11 Storming Terror

After investigating the domains dedicated to the four winds, it was time to head to the city of decarabian, the place now known as Stormterror's lair.

“This place is so spooky.” you muttered, rubbing at your arms as you walked across the bridge leading into the fallen city of former Mondstadt.

“It's just really sad...” Paimon said, surprising you as you paused to let her and Aether pass you by, your eyes softening at the nearly upset look on her face when you asked why she said that.

She shook her head and began glancing around “It just gives off this sad feeling, but now that you mention it, it is kinda spooky.”

The blond traveler simply shook his head, a fond smile on his face as he gave Paimon a once over.

Jean and Diluc were discussing something in hushed tones behind you and Venti was just..... Oh, so that's why Paimon said it was sad. Venti hadn't made one joke or pulled out a single bottle of wine since you all left Mondstadt together.

You jogged up to catch up with him in front and nudged him with your elbow.

“Hey...”

“Hello~” he responded with a small smile, his eyes retaining some measure of mirth.

“I know this might be hard for you, but could you try to liven yourself up some?? Paimon's catching your sadness frequency.”

He rolled his eyes, shrugging as he directed his gaze elsewhere “It's not that easy. Especially not right now, or am I not allowed to feel?”

That question stopped you both in your tracks, reassuring the others you would catch up before grabbing onto Venti's wrist to stop him from running away with them when they walked on ahead.

“What's the point of thi- ?!” the bard stiffened when you pulled him into a hug, his face pressed into your chest as he tensed, contemplating whether or not to get away before your voice jumbled his train of thought.

“Venti? It's fine. It's just me, so...... You can let it out if you need to” you muttered to him, your fingers sliding under his beret to rub soothingly against his scalp, your actions making the archon melt in your hold, a few tears wetting your shirt as he hugged you back, his arms tight around your middle.

His voice was muffled, hesitant too, but it was riddled with emotion “What if I can't save Dvalin? What do I do?”

“I'm not dead yet, Venti. I'll be right by your side to fight with you until you no longer need that help. I promise.”

He just sighed before stepping back from you, his cheeks rosy as he wiped his eyes with his hands, flashing you a small smile.

“Thank you, (Name)”

You rolled your eyes, smoothing his two colored braids down on either side of his neck “Nope. Don't thank me yet, you might jinx it and I'm not ready to die so early.”

Pushing him ahead of you, you turned around to inspect the environment once more, feeling like you were being watched, only to see a flash of purple vanish around the corner of one of the pillars below the bridge.

“That's totally not creepy.”

Staring at the pillar for a few seconds longer, you sighed and turned around, following quickly after Venti to avoid danger, the Cicin mage watching you coming out of hiding to smirk at your retreating figure, one of her bugs flying towards the edge of Brightcrown Canyon to deliver a message to a certain bespectacled harbinger.

“So that's how it is??” The Navy haired man mused to himself as he crumpled the Cicin's note in his palm, his other hand swinging his cane to and fro while lost in thought.

“Would it be wise to kidnap her now?” Pantalone sighed, pushing his cane against the Anemo Vanguard's mask and shushing him when he attempted speaking.

Steel blue eyes focused on the soldier, making him break out in a cold sweat as the harbinger dropped his cane and walked past him. “It was a rhetorical question. I don't need her that badly. Not yet at least.”

“Sergei. Watch her closely and report to whomever else is asked to watch her. Also, I'd like you to give this to (Name). It's something she'll be needing sooner or later, something my conscience has refused to let me keep.” Il Pantalone said, holding up a small, bow wrapped box and dropping it into the Pyro agent's outstretched hand.

“Of course, Sir. Should I leave a messag-” chuckling darkly, the harbinger shook his head as he began walking away, an evil glint in his eye as he gave an ominous warning.

“Should you damage the contents of that box, you will answer directly to Dottore. Only goodness knows what kind of punishment he'll mete out to you upon hearing that you broke it. Be careful, Sergei. It'd be a shame if you suddenly went missing in action, after all, you are very reliable.”

The soldiers all stood at ease when Pantalone was out of earshot, their shoulders relaxing as Sergei himself sunk to the floor, contemplating his life's decisions.

“You rushed out of the cathedral so quickly, Venti! What's going on? I thought-” You stopped short, running into Aether who had pulled out his sword and was pointing it at...

Signora??!!!!

It finally dawned on you when you laid eyes on Signora that she had come for the gnosis and alarms went off in your head as you darted towards Venti, desperate to protect him.

“Ven-” You yelped in pain as agents tackled both you and Aether, one of them slamming the hilt of Aether's sword into the back of his head to knock him out, the other kneeling over you and keeping you pinned to the ground as you yelled for the Anemo archon, kicking and squirming against the agent.

“Get off of me! Venti! Venti, hold on, I'm-”

La Signora glared at you, directing an attack at you, her voice full of venom. “So noisy....”

Jumping between you and the harbinger, Venti put himself in the way of the attack, his feet getting stuck to the floor by ice that reached up to his thighs. “(Name), are you okay...?”

You squirmed some more, tearing up as you noticed a certain green glow begin to emanate from his chest, wind slowly breaking the ice around his legs off.

‘This isn't even the original order of things....... does this have to happen??’ you thought to yourself, tears running down your cheeks as you continued to struggle, your arms pinned securely behind your back, by the agent who used his weight to keep you in place.

Just as La Signora's leg made contact with Venti's abdomen, you screamed at her, calling her attention to you to no avail as the archon rolled across the floor right outside the cathedral doors.

“Signora! Look at me! La Signora!!! You want me, right??!! Forget the gnosis! Take me instead!!! Signora!” you screeched continuously, the blonde woman yelling back at you once, but her words were serious enough to shut you up.

“It is not my mission to bring you in, you noisy creature, so shut your mouth before I use this so called archon as kindling!” her uncovered eye turned to you as she grabbed you by the hair and smacked you across the face.

“Dmitri, knock her out.” she muttered, dropping your head to the ground and walking towards the fallen man in a green cape.

You lifted your head, your sight blurry as you got ready to raise your voice to distract her again, only for your vision to go dark, a quick yet firm pressure on your nape as you slurred your words, your eyes fluttering closed albeit reluctantly.

“Ven...Venti....”