►| six

Seven tucked his hands into himself as he shuffled across the grounds

Seven tucked his hands into himself as he shuffled across the grounds. Warm bodies filtered past him, unaware of a block of matter gliding along with them. He kept his breath intakes short and silent, every step calculated with the random brush of wind against the blades of grass and the thump of soles on the compact soil.

He craned his neck up, tracking the sliver of light bouncing against his skin. There were times he forgot he still had his ability on, and he would want some snacks from the pantry. Nine out of ten times, he would shock someone out of their wits when they see jelly tarts being consumed in thin air. Yes, even Thirteen.

A frown pulled at the corners of his lips at the thought of the self-appointed leader. Despite being against the decision to follow the boy blindly, perhaps it was better to give Thirteen a chance. And he proved it. Nobody in their section died in the previous counter, and they gathered some intel about Section K and everyone the intruders interacted with since the chaotic counter in the Section Hall. If only Thirteen communicated what was going on in his mind instead of making a move and surprising everyone.

Seven wasn't a social genius, but he knew people wouldn't simply accept things being fed to them, especially when they had no connection with the speaker. Everyone were strangers in this Game, and Seven understood One and Eight's reaction when they were told to stay put. When One, Five, and Thirteen returned from the sewers and the briefing began, Seven and the rest of the section realized their leader's goal.

It wasn't to kill them by trapping them in a fortress capable of being besieged. Thirteen planned for a reconnaissance mission, gathering every information he could from those foolish enough to attack Section M and the building. And he wasn't complacent with it, either. Apparently, he had installed a hidden alert system at every possible entry-and-exit point. Just by letting those two spies in, he had obtained valuable information on how to rack up the fortress' defenses.

He could never forget how he felt when Five told them Thirteen killed the spies as soon as the boy got what he wanted. Without batting an eye, he stole Five's gun, shot people point-blank, and lectured One about trusting him.

Thirteen was an efficient leader, but he could be a little scathing at times. Aloof was a mild word to describe him, and asshole was the harshest. If he explained his thought process to get people onboard, they wouldn't have internal issues to begin with. Most people would need more than blind faith to believe in someone, and Thirteen had to know that.

Seven wasn't about to insert himself into the chaos though. Let it find him unwittingly. He had to focus on his task, and at this moment, it was to follow the enemy straight into their stronghold, do some snooping, and tow away their abilities record and any relevant files.

Thirteen ought to have taken a gamble with this mission. There was no saying the other sections have their records lying around or if they have a physical copy Seven could snatch. But maybe that was why Thirteen put him specifically into this task. It's been a while since the last counter, and until then, it was Seven's job to search the grounds for the other hideouts and get what he needed.