►| seventeen

Seven crept in the shadows, reminding himself his ability let him walk up to others without raising suspicion

Seven crept in the shadows, reminding himself his ability let him walk up to others without raising suspicion. If not for One surrendering her rights to a third of her share in the monthly packet quota, he wouldn't be risking Thirteen's ire by following their leader down specific halls and stairs leagues away from his command center or his room. Seven stuck to the walls, keeping Thirteen's scrawny frame in his periphery.

Whatever One was planning, Seven wanted nothing to do with it. Now that he was trudging towards Thirteen on his way to a familiar part of the fortress—one Seven knew was closed long ago. How many secrets Thirteen had against all of them? No wonder One and the others were furious. If they were supposed to function as a team, these things should never be kept from them. Especially when Thirteen made this place a bigger deal than necessary.

Seven followed Thirteen through the sewers, the arched ceiling dwarfing their presence so much it was easy to forget they were still in the same building. Or were they? For all Seven knew, this was underneath the city itself, and the fortress was a hundred miles away.

He skirted around the puddles of water dripping from the ceiling and some of the pipes. His nose found the crook of his arm to ward off the stale smell of stagnant sewage and things he didn't want to name. The soles of his boots brushed against the uneven floor so lightly his knees hurt after a longer distance than what he was used to.

Then, Thirteen paused, a finger pressed against his comms. "Be on standby," he said. His voice was nothing more than a hissed whisper, but with the empty sewer, it bounced off in weak echoes until it reached Seven. "I'm on my way."

The boy kept walking, forcing Seven to pick up his pace again. Thirteen hummed. "The plan? I'll tell you there," he said. "I have something in mind. Make sure you're ready when I get there."

Thirteen rounded a corner. Seven cursed inwardly, hurrying after him. He emerged from the bend and...nothing.

Where did Thirteen go? Seven stepped out of his ability's veil and stomped around. A hidden tunnel, perhaps? Thirteen wasn't nimble. Wasn't athletic either. No way he'd be able to shimmy away that fast. So...where was he?

Seven shook his head. What was he thinking? He owed One nothing to risk his standing with Thirteen by finding out more than he did. He wasn't even part of that damned opposition One was trying to ignite. Why would they rebel at this point in time? If Thirteen stopped going against Karrel and her goons, they would all be toast.

He'd just give One what he found, and they'd have to live with that. After all, he had already gotten his end of the deal. Dinner would be something to look forward to.

 Dinner would be something to look forward to