►| sixteen

While others were out getting a scope out of the grounds, the fighting unit stayed back most of the time

While others were out getting a scope out of the grounds, the fighting unit stayed back most of the time. Thirteen made them so. Five would prefer curling up in bed all day, but she had to drag her ass to the hall. Having divided the massive room into four, Thirteen closed off the quarter closest to Fourteen's conservatory and claimed it was for their simulations. He moved the multipurpose tables closer to the countertops and trashed the file cabinets. And he did this at the first hour of daylight, shaking the entire section awake. Even Twenty, the heaviest sleeper of them all—he literally slept like the dead—stomped out of his room complaining about the noise.

Thirteen gathered them into the closed-off space, which he decorated with unsightly lengths of frayed twine he found lying elsewhere, and started going off about developing their abilities and fighting as a tight unit.

"That's what Section H has been faulting us for," Thirteen said, his pacing igniting Five's nausea. "We have been entering counters without preparation and teamwork. Each of you should know each other's weak points and your cards to play."

Five almost rolled her eyes. They didn't deserve a lecture this early in the morning. Without a proper cup of cocoa, Thirteen's words flew by her head. The same case was evident in the others, especially One. The only one intently listening was Two. That kid, being the youngest of them all, had an impressionable mind. He probably thought Thirteen was an infallible god just by being an asshole and smarter than an average boy.

"Fifteen," Thirteen said, gesturing to the girl. Her ability involved telekinesis, giving her some degree of control over physical systems and select forces. "What happens when you make objects float with your ability?"

An uncertain look flashed across the girl's face. "I...minimize the attraction between objects and the environment and make them seem weightless," she said. "Isn't that what telekinesis is?"

Without explaining to everyone else what he meant, he had Fifteen stand in the center and told her, "Telekinesis is just one aspect of your ability," he said. "You can minimize attraction, but have you tried increasing it?"

It seemed to ring a bell with Fifteen, but for Five, it was nothing but a lump of nonsense. Shouldn't they be the ones who knew their ability the most? Why was Thirteen coaching them about it? Because Fifteen wasn't the only one who got notes from him. Back when Five was practicing swinging her blades and imagining Section H's Electric Blade at the receiving end, Thirteen popped up and asked her, "What is the average speed of you regrowing your hair? Does it take a significant amount of energy, both in growing it and manipulating its structure?"

Five would have scoffed and told him to muck off, but she felt bad for the guy. Maybe he just wanted to help and not knowing what to do with that desire. "About sixteen to thirty seconds, I would have about here," she said, tapping the side of her palm against her side to illustrate the length of hair. "That's enough for a lump of metal capable of molding a small dagger, a gun, or that metal pot."