►| twenty nine

Thirteen whirled too late

Thirteen whirled too late. Slate's body crashed against him, pinning him to the ground. His gun flew out of his hands, the grass devouring all traces of it. He swiveled back to find Slate straddling him, a dagger poised to stab him. Tears trailed down her face, for whatever reason. Why would people act upon impulse, based on misguided feelings of loyalty, anger, grief, and vengeance?

"You let them die? That's the plan?" Slate wailed. "You killed them!"

The blade went down. A loud clang, and it zipped across the clearing. Slate tumbled off him, clutching her injured hand. Five's shadow fell over him, and reached down. Her grip closed around Slate's arm, pulling the girl up. "Stand down," she ordered. "Thirteen did what he did because he had a plan. You have no business intruding on that."

Slate wiped her tears with the back of her hand. Violently. She glared at him through bloodshot eyes. How dare she? Not only did she ruin a fraction of Thirteen's plan, she managed to disarm him. The gun was lost somewhere, and without it, he was powerless against Karrel.

"The only reason we're still here is because Thirteen has to face such sacrifices," Five said. She turned to Karrel who had stumbled away from the chaos to recuperate. "Don't question it."

Thirteen staggered up and dusted his trousers. "Get lost, Slate," he snapped. "I'll deal with you later."

Slate's fists balled, but when Five jerked her chin to a vague direction, she deflated. She wasn't wanted here, and it became apparent. "I won't forgive you," she spat, throwing another acidic scowl in Thirteen's direction. "Ever."

Thirteen dipped his head at her. "Wasn't the first time I heard that," he said. "My pleasure."

A weight threw him back down. Karrel's curls rained on his face, blocking most of his vision. "You vile creature," she rasped, fumbling around for Thirteen's throat. "How did you brainwash them that easily? Someone like you doesn't deserve to live."

He clawed at her hands when they found purchase and squeezed. "Someone like me wanted nothing but to live," he groaned out. "Too bad."

Black spots flitted in his vision as Karrel tightened her grip. Thirteen gasped and choked, his fingers losing more of their strength with each second. Then, a strong force slammed into Karrel, throwing her off him. Thirteen hacked and rolled over, spitting blood onto the grass. He cursed, knowing what ripped the leader away.

Eight stood there, her hair a matted mess at the side of her head. Her chest heaved. Her arms were outstretched, and her eyes shone with the characteristic glint of having an activated ability. Oh, no. No. NO.

A smile tore Karrel's lips apart, showing off her neat rows of teeth. Her gaze fixed solely on Thirteen. Shit. He told them specifically to not use their abilities with Karrel around! What was Eight thinking?!

Five lurched forward, throwing herself into Karrel's path before the latter could unleash a torrent on the ability's owner. Karrel whipped her hands in a wide arc. An audible howl stirred the clearing, tearing through the grass roots. A huge vortex of wind slammed into Five, plucking her off the ground and flinging her over the canopies. Thirteen didn't wait to see if she made it down unscathed. She would have broken a rib or two, at the least.