►| twenty six

When Thirteen's senses returned, the darkness hadn't let up

When Thirteen's senses returned, the darkness hadn't let up. A groan escaped his lips when he attempted raising his head only to be met with snaking pain in his neck. What did they hit him with? His ears, despite the constant ringing, registered a scuffle of footsteps and hushed voices arguing. Someone clicked their tongue. Female.

A force gripped the top of his head. Then, it pulled. Light flooded Thirteen's eyes, worsening the blurry haze crippling them. He winced. When he attempted to rub his eyes, his arms snagged beside him. Oh, they tied him up. Great.

"You took your time, sweetheart." Karrel's voice matched the bundle of hay-colored curls and blobs of beige skin standing in front of him. "You just had to be a diva about it."

Thirteen scowled. "You need to work on your insults."

The pain in his neck had ebbed to a manageable degree. Then, the memories flooded in. "The fortress," he spat. "How did you get inside?"

His vision had improved to a notch where he could see a menacing smile spread Karrel's lips apart. "You sent all your pawns to the battlefield, forgetting to defend your walls," she said. "It's easy to infiltrate when the key you need is by the door."

Seven. Before he fell unconscious, he remembered the characteristic air ripple that occurs whenever Seven was near and he forgot to turn his ability off. The key by the door...

"Did you replicate Seven's ability?" Thirteen raised his head towards Karrel to see three...four more silhouettes against the intense backdrop. Where were they? In Section H's headquarters? No. They weren't too careless to shove a captive in their own turf. Karrel wasn't stupid. Bold, maybe, but not stupid.

Karrel reached out and punched his arm lightly. If not for the ropes latching him to a wooden chair, he would have slapped it away. How dare they touch him? "Come on, you're smart enough to know that," she teased. "Why ask me?"

Thirteen chewed on his lip. His tongue tasted rust. Did he burst his lip on his fall? "How did you come up with this plan?" he asked, buying time. For what? He had to figure that out. Fast. "I don't hand out information, and I make sure none of my comrades talk."

He just did it to Two. Everyone else knew what awaited them should they cross Thirteen's way. "Which front did I fail?"

A malicious glint shone in Karrel's eyes. Maybe they were a little too alike in that regard. Egocentric assholes never miss the chance to make someone feel like shit by flaunting their superior intellect. Today, Thirteen let her. His desire to get out of this room while the counter still went on outweighed his will to be a prick.

"You really should have sealed the sewers," Karrel answered. "Backdoors are risks you don't want to take."

That was why the only way in and out of Section H's headquarters was the lobby. It was a foolish move in case of disasters, but in their case, it made sense. Where did she find information about the sewers?