►| twenty eight

Thirteen glanced at his watch, clicking away at the remaining time before the counter started

Thirteen glanced at his watch, clicking away at the remaining time before the counter started. If he arrived at the perfect conclusion, they should have three minutes and two seconds left. One second. Two minutes and fifty nine seconds. Fifty eight.

"Stop staring at that damn clock," Sixteen beside him. Crouched on the grass and hiding in the thickest part of the undergrowth must have gotten into her nerves. "Your hair's going to fall off should you keep at it."

He scrolled through the channels, obliging the girl's request. "Five, in position?" he asked.

A soft chuckle. "I can hear Sixteen's sentiment. In position," she replied. "Nervous?"

Thirteen could have denied it, to save face or something, but Five beat him to it. "If everything works out, this will be the last counter for us, right?"

"If my calculations are correct." He scratched his chin, the stray leaves from the neighboring branches ticking him. If he swatted them away, he might alert someone from Section H. Another glance at the watch. One minute. Fifty nine seconds.

He switched to Fourteen and Seven's channels. "Confirm scope and position."

A hearty clink crackled in Fourteen's line. "All good," she said. The soft rustle of leaves brought about by her slight shifting to prop the rifle's stock on her shoulder shone through the comms. "Seven?"

Another fizzle. "Clear." Seven's mellow whisper streaked through the line. "Target in sight. Approaching blitz point. Time to counter?"

Despite Sixteen's glare digging at the back of his head, he glanced at his watch for the third time. "Thirty seconds," he said. "By fifteen, deactivate all abilities."

He pursed his lips, squinting past the spaces between the leaves blocking his view of Section H's headquarters. The only reason their two targets for this frontal attack still walked upright was because they never strayed far from Karrel. It wasn't because they have powerful abilities nor did they know how to use it to their full potential. They just found the perfect rock to latch on to like barnacles.

The numbers on the watch flicked to zero, running out until the last millisecond. As if on cue, a loud ringing flooded the grounds. A curse flitted out of Thirteen's lips. He could never get used to that annoying noise. Through the gaps in the foliage, he watched figures clad in red jackets and trousers rush out. No sign of Karrel. Slate must have done her job. Good.

Fourteen and Seven didn't need to be told twice. The moment Kalyani stepped into Fourteen's line of fire, a bullet whizzed out of the silencer peeking between the shadows and twisted branches. Within seconds, Kalyani was on the ground, blood streaming from a smoking hole on her head. Before Jason could react in terror, Seven's blade lashed in the air, slicing a neat line across the former's neck. A second body joined its companion on the ground.

"Retreat, both of you," Thirteen said to the comms. "Run before Karrel gets here."

He didn't check if they understood or followed. His attention was on Five, Eight, and Sixteen. "Turn off all abilities when Karrel gets here. That includes you, Sixteen. No regeneration for the time being," he said. "Seventeen will assist you if you have any trouble dealing with Karrel."