►| fifteen

One entered the hall to find it with fewer people than she was used to

One entered the hall to find it with fewer people than she was used to. Where was everyone? Had they decided to sleep in at the same time? She headed to the countertops where their food was. It was a miracle those were found in random points in the grounds and Thirteen was able to pinpoint every single one with a concerning degree of accuracy.

She retrieved a metal pot, a mug, and the jar of powdered cacao beans. She was halfway in making her drink when Twelve dropped by, having finished hers. "Great day, isn't it?" One greeted the girl as she rinsed the dark brown stains in the only working sink. Thirteen had yet to fix the plumbing system, and he was out doing other things.

Twelve chuckled, shaking the droplets off her mug before slotting it on the twisted wires they called the dish rack. A huge 12 emblazoned on the mug's side stared at One upside down. "I would say it is had we not almost died yesterday," Twelve replied. She dried her hands by bracing her hips. She sighed. "I just...don't want that to happen again."

"You feel lost, don't you?" One asked.

The door to the hall opened and in came Sixteen and Seventeen. It has been a few counters since their last team-up, but those two had been inseparable ever since. Was it just coincidence their names were one after the other? Twelve leaned past One's shoulder to see who it was before passing her by. "Kind of." She shrugged. "I don't hate Thirteen, but I don't trust him either. But we can't afford an internal conflict, so I just swallow my thoughts and pretend I still care about his whole thing."

One replaced Twelve on the sink just as Sixteen passed by and made a beeline for her and Seventeen's mugs. "Are we talking about our dear leader?" Sixteen asked, placing down both mugs with distinct clicks against the marble. "What do you think about him disappearing yesterday? It was pretty shady."

"Oh, you say it." Seventeen's heavy footsteps thumped against the floor on his way to his girlfriend. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before retrieving the jar. "That guy's a real dodgy show."

"I feel bad for him, though," One said, flicking the faucet's lever on. She positioned the metal pot on the spout. The water gurgled like a brook as it filled the dented basin. "We shouldn't be talking about him like this."

Twelve rounded the countertop and leaned her weight on her palms on the rim opposite One. "You know how well he listens," she said with a goofy smile. "The guy's lost in his own world to care."

"Agree on that," Seventeen chuckled, dumping two scoops of powder into each of the mugs on the table.

One removed the full basin from the faucet after turning it off. Then, she placed it on an elevated rack Five built for this specific purpose and slotted her hand underneath. Activating her ability, they all watched flames lick the bottom of the pot until the water bubbled. She grasped the boiling pot and started pouring a portion in the ready mugs. She'd dump the powder later.

"Too late for one more?" Twenty sidled into the hall with a stupid grin on his face. After being pummeled close to death by Section P yesterday, it was out of place. "I swear I could use five cups of these everyday."