Chapter 1: The Game

Y/N POV:

Today was Christmas, the day after I had narrowly escaped the crumbling building, and I had so many questions swimming around in my head. Who the HELL was that guy? How did he know my father? How did he know my name? I look over at my backpack on the floor next to my door. 'I need to figure out what the hell is going on,' I thought to myself as I got up and took my laptop (as well as the alleged 'present') out of my bag and set it on my desk. I inspect the wrapped item and slowly unwrap it and see that it's...A headset?

A headset?

"..." After staring at it in silence for a moment or two, I decided to crack it open and see if there were any strange things inside. I refuse to play a game involving a headset, let alone one that was given to me as a present by some weird old hobo, without doing some research first. 

After a minute I managed to crack open the headset and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, that was when I saw it—a chip, one that I had never seen before.

I didn't recognize the chip so I decided to begin my search on the internet, I started with Reddit and posted a picture of the chip there asking if anyone knew what it was

I didn't recognize the chip so I decided to begin my search on the internet, I started with Reddit and posted a picture of the chip there asking if anyone knew what it was. An hour later I got a response that linked me to a website called 'wackywatch.com'.

As I watched the video I recognized the chip, took out the papers I had collected yesterday, and began to look through them. After a bit of searching, I eventually found some papers that were talking about plans for an experimental VR chip. The video came to an end and . '...That's not at all creepy.'

I look at the headset. "...Yeah if 'Sword Art Online' is anything to go off of then I think I'm gonna stick with the VR Headset Joey got me last year." I put the remnants of the 'Gift' in my desk drawer. 'eh, I'll keep it...I might need it later...' For now, though, I decided to try and boot up the game. 'Might as well give it a go.'

I double-clicked on the application for 'The Amazing Digital Circus' and loaded up the game. The main menu screen flashed brightly before me. I clicked play and then...