Chapter Ten

Taylor was pacing in the waiting room, brushing off Hayley and Amelia when they tried getting her to sit down.

Zac lingered by the door through which Addison had taken Grace, biting his nails. How could they have gone from being so happy to being so worried in the space of seconds. Her heart?! Zac didn't understand how she had been fine for thirty five years and then suddenly not be fine.

"Stop." Taylor snapped, continuing to pace, avoiding Amelia who kept trying to block her.

"Taylor, what happened?" Andrea swept into the waiting room and straight over to her daughter. Austin and Scott right behind her.

Taylor quickly told them everything before going back to pacing.

"Her heart? But it's been fine since...." Andrea trailed off, frowning, recalling the memories of when her daughters had been born.

Taylor moved away from everyone and went back to pacing. She couldn't put how she was feeling into words, she could only imagine that this was how Grace was feeling when she overdosed. She felt like the rug had just been pulled out from under her feet, that she wasn't in control of anything.

"Taylor." Amelia's soft voice pulled her attention. "Meredith just told me Cristina Yang took the case."

"Does she need surgery?" Scott asked the question everyone was thinking.

"I don't know yet." Amelia said softly. She wanted to use her hospital ID to get past the waiting room, to see what was happening but she knew Taylor needed her out here.

Taylor was frozen for a moment, her thoughts running a mile a minute. She lifted her head when she saw flashes of light coming through the window to the waiting room. The paparazzi had caught wind that they were all at the hospital and had shown up to get some pictures to go along with the made up articles. Taylor felt furious at their arrival. How could they even know they were here?

Hayley spotted the paparazzi as well and nudged Amelia. "Get security to make them leave." She said softly.

Amelia paged the security team and soon the paparazzi were ushered off of the premises and banned from the hospital grounds.

Taylor relaxed slightly before going back to pacing.

An hour later, Cristina Yang and Addison came through the double doors which swung closed behind them.

"She's okay, baby too." Addison said softly

"She needs an internal pacemaker until I can find her a new heart." Cristina said. "She's on the list now. "I can't explain what happened to her, it just happened, it could be the strain from the baby, I just don't know."

Taylor released a breath of relief, sagging against Amelia who was standing beside her.

"A new heart?" Andrea's eyes widened. "How- how can she need a new heart when she was healthy for thirty five years?" She breathed.

"These things can just happen, they sneak up on you, there's no warning signs, nothing." Addison said softly. "The main thing is, Grace is here and we can help her." She reached out to gently take Andrea's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Cristina gave the family a moment to come to terms with the information she'd just given them. "I need your permission to perform the surgery to insert the internal pacemaker." She said softly.

Scott stepped forward, placing a hand on Andrea's shoulder. "It's not our permission you need anymore." He said, nodding towards Zac. "It's his."

Cristina followed his gaze towards the drummer standing by the door, still trying to process the information. "Is he her husband?" She asked, puzzled.