Chapter 3: ARRANGED

My brother grabbed my arm and started to drag me downstairs so he could take me home. I tried to resist and loosen his grip but I knew I was no match for his strength. I weeped uncontrollably as I knew that not only will my life go back to its miserable ways but now I'm going to have to face the wrath of my parents who are probably much more exasperated than my brother. I told Daanish bhai "Please let me go please bhai I wasn't doing anything wrong I just wanted to be free." "Free from what!" he screeched. I mustered the courage to say "TO BE FREE FROM ALL OF YOU MISOGYNISTS!"
He looked at me with an irritated expression followed by rolling his eyes. He tossed me into a taxi and he sat himself down as well. Anxiety built up in me as we keeper getting closer to home. How bad could it be right? It's not like they would punish me too severely right? These questions kept spinning in my mind like a carousel and I honestly thought I was going to go crazy.

We reached home and my brother pulled me out of the taxi and threw me into the house where my parents and the rest of my family stood grudgingly. I was intimidated by thinking of the possible outcomes of this rendezvous. My mother looked at me before placing a firm slap on my face, I felt dazed. My dad looked at Daanish bhai and asked "Where was she and what was she doing." "She was chasing after her so called 'freedom.' He voiced in a sarcastic tone.
To that my mother replied "what freedom are you talking about Sadaf. You indeed have plenty of freedom, so much that the idea of running away was able to cross your mind. I guess we have to do something so we can end your search for 'freedom' permanently."

"What are you going to do to me?" I voiced in a nervous and terrified tone.

They ignored me and my mother whispered something in my father's ear. I was intrigued on what it was all about. My father nodded at my mom and proceeded to say.

"Sadaf get ready, we'll get your Nikkah done to my friends son."
Dadaji looked at me with a sorrowful expression. I was horrified by the idea of marriage. There's no way I was ready to embark on such a daunting stage of life. I tried to protest by saying.

"But Abbu jaan (dad) isn't there another way to discipline me. I understand you are angry but you couldn't possibly get me married to someone I don't even know."

My dad looked at me in disappointment and said "No this is the only way and that's final!"

Now how do I explain to these Indian parents of mine that marriage is not the solution to every problem. I felt a painful lump in my throat and before I knew it I was shedding tears. I rushed to my room and buried my face in my pillow, crying my heart out.

~~~~~

Authors note: Hey guys I hope you're enjoying the book so far. Don't forget to vote, comment your opinions and recommend to your friends. Thank you~