Chapter 16

We warmed up for a long time, making sure every part of our bodies were ready for the game. As Lluís had already said I would be starting the game. My second start of the season, and even more important to me than my first. This time I would probably be playing the entire ninety minutes. Mapí wasn't on the bench, and she was one of four who usually played as a central defender.

It was almost less pressure on me when I played as a defender. I had never been that good at attacking, I preferred being lower on the field, making sure no goals got past me. It was easier to not get noticed when playing in the back. I didn't like when people talked about me that much. People like Alexia or Alex Morgan was constantly in the media, everyone was talking about their abilities and how the whole team relied on them. I preferred being in the back, just playing football for the sake of playing football. Not being an advocate for the team or women's rights.

Being sponsored by Nike had brought me more attention. I was eighteen years old and playing for one of the best teams in the world. Surely people wanted to know about the phenomena who was Elisa García. I hated that. People talked about every game I played, why I was wearing my sleeves and if I would make it in the football world. I wanted to be unknown, yet I wanted to play football at this level. A sacrifice had to be made, and that sacrifice was my privacy.

I entered the pitch after making my usual jumps. Waking up my legs and mentally preparing for the game. For me it was a necessary ritual. Just like Ottilia always redid her hair several times and just like me always eating oatmeal. Because if I didn't do it, something awful would happen.

The first thirty minutes of the game was tight. But that all changed when Alexia weaved her way through the defenders and scored a goal. Every single Barcelona player jumped her, not before she could do her usual bow. I think it was her way of thanking the audience for them enjoying her goal.

"Fucking yes, Ale" I yelled while hugging her tightly. Everyone slowly jogged back towards our places. When Ottilia managed to get in a second goal right before halftime the same ritual repeated. Us all jumping up on her back, celebrating that she had scored and the entire team's effort.

We went out for the second half with the same energy and desire to win. Another Alexia goal made our lead bigger. In the last few minutes of the game, we got a corner. Everyone made their way into the box. For the first time of the day, I was standing next to Ona. Her hands found their way to my waist, holding me in place and making it easier for her to follow my every move. When the ball made its way into the box, I saw it moving towards my head. I reacted in the same way as any other player would do, heading it towards the goal.

I was in shock when it made its way into the goal. My first goal for Barcelona, exactly a year after my debut. Exactly a year after my mother passed away. A second later I was carried up by Alexia. She hugged me tightly, soon after I felt Aitana and Ottilia wrap their arms around us.

In that moment all I could think about was my mom. Would she be proud of me? Was she in some way here? When I once again was on the ground, I couldn't help but look up at the sky. I could feel the tears filling my eyes and slowly making their way down my cheeks. My hands were over my heart, feeling it beat for my mom. I felt her talking to me. Well, if I didn't know better I'd think she was talking to me in that moment. But I knew better. How come I could still feel her all around? In every move I made she was there, cheering me on.

The rest of the game passed in a blur. And when the final whistle blew, I sank down to the ground, with my head in my hands and tears in my eyes. I played the full game and scored my first goal for Barcelona on the anniversary of my mom's death.

After I while I felt Ona wrap her arms around me. Her touch was so familiar. "She would be so proud of you" she whispered in my ear while holding me. We sat there for several minutes. Ona was stroking my back, rubbing circles on it while keeping away both her and my teammates. This was our moment. She knew how much this meant to me, and it meant a lot to her. Ona loved my mom, they had met several times during our time together in La Maisa.