iii ; imagine having a job

Danny 🫶💿
heyyyy robbie do you want me to pick you up after work and you can spend the night here?
my mom said she made you some stuff you can take home so fhskksj

Robgoblin 😈🙏
yeah sure tjatd br awesoem thank toau dan
my shifts over in a halg jour byw

Danny 🫶💿
alr see you later pookie

"Dinner's ready! Your Aunt Beth is here!" Ellie shouts from the kitchen to her three kids.

The two older siblings let go of Kassie, having pinned her to the bed to tickle her. The little girl lovingly hated the ticklebugs. They walk out to the dining room, sitting down with their aunt and mother as they begin talking.

"So, what's that?" Beth asks the youngest girl, referring to her stick with a baby doll head on it.

"Her name is Staffne-"

"Do you want your receipt, sir?"

"No thanks,"

Robin crumbles up the receipt, tossing it in the trash can below the register. They wish the customer a good day as company policy and sigh as he walks away. They look up at the clock, reading 7:14. 16 more minutes of work, and they were free for two whole days.

The fluorescent lights above them buzz, being the bar lights covered by a panel to hide just how much warm light they were spilling onto the floor of the pizzeria. Working here was a living nightmare. Their coworkers sucked, their manager was a full-blown misogynistic piece of shit who took advantage of the women who came within a mile of the shop, and somehow, the place still had a good reputation.

Henrietta's Pizzeria was founded in 1967 by a 73-year-old Korean woman. She wanted to prove that non-white races could still succeed in America without having to "stick to their culture." Meaning that non-white people didn't have to fit into racist standards or only work in certain fields. Aka, Mexican people weren't only good for building buildings, Chinese people didn't own buffets and takeout restaurants, etc.

And back then, she only hired non-white people, other than homeless folk she took off the street. She'd given them jobs to help support themselves, but if a white person who looked well off and could get a job somewhere else walked in, she'd send them away. This was a safe space for people who didn't want to be ridiculed by their coworkers and wanted to live the "American Dream."

She died at the ripe age of 98, leaving the business to her daughter. After her daughter passed away in 2001, it was left to her sons. Her one son took over until 2015 and handed the company over to his brother, probably the worst decision one could possibly make.

His brother, now Robin's manager and company owner, was a flaming piece of shit. His grandmother would be disappointed in him. Not for hiring white kids, but the way he treated everyone. It was like he forgot he was half Korean. His white father really got to him there.

But that's what led us here today.

The place was empty other than three other employees in the back, whisking up pickup and drive out orders. They stand and wait for either a text from Danny or the clock to hit 7:30. Every minute passed by like an hour until they felt their phone buzz. They pull it from their pants pocket, adjusting the fly a bit as they do so.

Danny 🫶💿
hey im omw, also am I still allowed to order through you?

Robgoblin 😈🙏
yeah what do u want lol

Danny 🫶💿
uhhh large pepperoni and another large w mushrooms and olives

Robgoblin 😈🙏
ok got u pooks

Danny 🫶💿
also I have bridge and kassie w me (Bridget is writing this haha) but I'll make bridge sit in the back when I get you
our aunt kinda found out dad left and mom made us leave for a minute and stuff