~Chapter 13~

"We know that." Hawk claimed.

"You don't understand what I mean." Star shook her head. "I mean, now."

"Now?" Storm's eyes widened. "But what about Moonsight? And the rest?"

"You all know Moonsight. He won't make his decision for a few days." Star nodded in thanks to Owl.

"That's true." Hawk

"Then does everyone here agree? We make a plan." She watched in approval as Hawk and Owl nodded. She looked at Storm.

"What about you?"

"I don't know... is it smart to do something so dangerous without any backup?" Star sensed that Storm was uneasy.

"It might actually be easier without so many lynxes." She reassured. "We are going to need to be extremely quiet."

It worked. "O- okay."

"Then we all agree?"

"Yes."

"Then we need a plan." Star saw their shocked faces.

"You don't already have one?" Hawk exclaimed.

"Nope."

"How'bout we all give each other suggestions," Owl offered. "Then pick the best one. We can add them together too."

The three other lynxes stood silently, thinking.

"I think that's a good idea." Hawk meowed eventually.

"Me too." Storm countered.

"Okay. I'm in." Star purred. Now they were going to get somewhere. "First, some sort of disguise."

"Scent?" Owl asked.

"Scent. I don't think we could do it the other way."

"Second," Storm mewed. "Do we need a distraction?"

"Maybe... what type?" Hawk questioned.

"What do you mean, 'what type'?" Owl mocked. "There is only one type."

"No." Hawk insisted. "There's... there's... okay fine! There's only one type."

"Told you."

"Okay." Star broke in. "This is kinda important, so please focus."

"Sorry." Hawk and Owl dipped their heads.

"Now, back to the plan..."

"I've got it!" They all listened closely as Storm explained what she knew.

"Hurry up!" Storm called from up ahead.

"I am hurrying!" River called to her sister. "But where are we going again?"

"You'll see." Storm raced even farther ahead.

"Wait! I'm not as fast as you!"

River knew this moment. This was a dream, or a memory of her past. She wished she could change it, but she couldn't.

She ran on until she was so out of breath, she thought her chest would explode. "Storm, where are you?"

Suddenly something dropped onto her back. It knocked her off her paws. She struggled. "Storm, come quickly!" She called for help. There was a giggle from above her, and she hissed, flipping onto her back and kicking Storm off.

Storm landed on her side and let out a squeak of surprise. "Hey!"

"You asked for it!" River purred, shaking the dead leaves off her pelt.

A loud booming sound rang through the forest. The two new trainees ducked low, eyes wide in shock.

"Wha-'' Storm started, but a yowl sounded after a second shot.

The noise came from not far off. The two terrified lynxes started to run towards camp again, Storm in the lead, as usual.

When they reached camp, they burst in, and Storm almost tripped over a different lynx who was lying down at the entrance. Leaf was bent over her.

River recognized her mother, Daisy. Blood was flowing from her back leg.

"What happened?" River asked, bending down over her mother.

"It's-" she started, but Moonsight cut her off.

"Daisy, you need rest. Don't try to talk right now," he said.

When the camp of lynxes had settled down, Leaf padded over to the two sisters. "Your mother will be okay." She said. "But you should know something."

"What?" River and Storm said at the same time.

"Daisy wasn't hunting alone. She was with your father."

"Wait!" River hissed. "Are you saying...?"

"Only one of them came back."

"No!" Storm wailed. River just sat there like she always did when something happened that put her in shock.

River blinked open her eyes. She was in the wolves camp again, Dawn beside her. Dawn looked frightened- who wouldn't be?

"Bad dream?" She guessed.

"Yes. But let's not talk right now."

"Okay."