~Chapter 16~

"Lynxes!" Moonsight yowled. "Gather!"

I wonder what he wants, Starlight thought.

"I've been putting some thought into it after what happened with Storm, and I think we need to go rescue River and Dawn."

Star stood in shock. Not what I expected.

"At nightfall we will go," Moonsight decided. "Get some rest before then."

But before any of the lynxes had gotten far away from the Leading Elder, a flicker of movement caught Star's eye. She pulled her lip up in a snarl as she turned to face him. Ash was slowly slinking away towards the exit.

"Traitor!" She snarled.

Ash froze, then, carefully, he lifted his head. "What?"

"I said, traitor," she repeated, her eyes unwavering as she glared at him.

"Starlight," Moonsight began, "please tell us what you're talking about."

"Yes, Starlight," Ash said quietly. "Do tell."

"I'm talking about that traitor," she gestured to Ash, "who killed my sister to keep some secret away that she found out."

"I killed Larch?" Ash hissed. "No. I had nothing to do with that."

"Then what happened?" Star challenged. "Who gave her those wounds? They could've only been made by another lynx."

"Someother lynx, probably," the annoyed lynx shrugged.

She choked. How could he be so heartless? "I know it was you. I can feel it." That was true. It was like Larch was there, telling her.

"No-"

"There's no point in lying!" Eagle shouted from the back of the crowd. "I know I said I wouldn't tell anyone what I saw, but this might be going too far!"

Ash now stopped protesting. He lowered his head. "I see I'm outnumbered," he said simply. "But that doesn't scare me. Yes, I killed Larch. And I don't regret it."

Even though Starlight had known it, it sounded so much worse when it was out in the open, for everyone to know.

"What?" Moonsight growled. "You murdered a Starlightlynx- an equal in rank- and you're glad you did it? What kind of heartless lynx are you?!"

"I'm the type of lynx who knows what's going on. This is just the beginning-" He broke off as he saw Needle- his own kit- standing outside the Kit-den, fear filled her eyes.

"Ash?" She squeaked fearfully. "Why did you kill someone?"

For half a second Ash looked remorseful. But no longer than that, and his gaze hardened. "Needle, go back to your nest. None of this concerns you."

"But-"

"Needle!" Needle's mother- Ash's mate- Clover snapped. "Do as your father said. Though he may not even be worthy of being a father now."

Ash showed no signs of hurt- or at least it looked like it. But Starlight didn't know what he was feeling on the inside.

. . .

It hurt. Ash could feel his mate's hurt glare on him, and it hurt. A lot. But he kept his head high. It was too late to change anything anyway. I might as well just carry on with the plan. There's nothing for me here anymore.

But he would miss his kits, especially Needle. He could see that she would turn out to be a strong, fast, and smart young lynx.

He didn't really regret killing Larch though. Sometimes he thought he did, but mostly because she was his first mate.

But when Nightshade ordered her to be killed- because of what she saw, and because he thought of her as a distraction- Ash had to obey.

Of course, no one else except Larch and himself knew that they were mates, and before it was known, she was murdered.

"Ash," Eagle broke him out of thought. "If you aren't scared, why did you try to run away?"

Ash felt the anger in him rising, quicker than before. Why was his brother so annoying? "I think you're the scared one," he growled. "Because you're not even trying to stop me." With that, Ash ran out. He raced through the woods of his homeland- no, his old homeland- heart thumping. He heard pawsteps behind him, and a quick glance back and he saw Eagle, Star and another lynx farther behind that he couldn't make out.

"Ash! Why are you so scared? Come back and fight!" Eagle hissed.

"Why would you want me to fight you?" He called back. "It only means death."

"For you!"

"No. We both know I'm stronger." He kept running anyway. He could beat Eagle, and he could beat Starlight, but the third lynx? He couldn't take on three at once, he knew that.

Then something appeared in front of him.

The third lynx.

"Wait- what?" He stopped, right before crashing into the figure. Then he sucked in a breath. "Larch?"

"Why'd he stop?" He heard Eagle ask Star.

"You can't see-" she broke off. He obviously couldn't see the spirit-lynx standing there.

"Ash, why?" Larch questioned. Ash was at a loss for words, so he just stood there. "You have regrets, I believe." Then she disappeared, and Eagle launched past Star, claws out full-length.

Ash turned to meet the attack quickly, but not quickly enough. Eagle's claws ripped down the side of his face, leaving a long, bloody mark across his left eye.

He yowled in pain, slashing at his brother with a new anger. He couldn't see through that eye anymore.

But his attacks were weak, because he was still in shock from seeing his former mate, and not being able to see the side-attacks Thunder kept throwing at him.

"Give up," Thunder snarled, pinning his weight on top of his brother. "You need to face the consequences!"

"And those consequences are...?"

At that loss for words, Thunder was not pinning him as tight, so Ash flipped up, knocking his brother off, and launching himself away, racing towards the mountains.

. . .

"Thunder. Let him go," Starlight said as the male lynx tried to go after his brother. "Ash won't get far. Not with that eye. And there's no point in killing him."

 "I know..." Thunder sat down to lick some blood off his claws. "Why did he stop suddenly though? You saw what stopped him, right?"

"Well... yes," what would be the point in lying? "But if you didn't see her, she probably didn't want anyone else to."