The Wolf Lord

Lord Lothar trod his checker plate and iron battlements, inspecting his defenses, not being the kind of commander who would dare consider leaving his work to his subordinates

Lord Lothar trod his checker plate and iron battlements, inspecting his defenses, not being the kind of commander who would dare consider leaving his work to his subordinates. This, his daily ritual, since before the war, ever vigilant in the management of his men, and resources. In the past few days all on duty here could feel their Lord's dark, seething displeasure, visible in the set of his body, and the tone of his already gruff voice, none desirous of being singled out for his attention.

He paced his kingdom of iron this evening, boots ringing on the metal with his each and every angry step, eyes scanning the horizon impatiently, his black scaled armor catching the rose tinted light, shining like the opalescent skin of a venomous snake. Venomous too was his mood, his blood boiling in fury, as he thumped his mailed fist down hard on the iron railing venting his frustration, as he gazed ever eastward, the light breeze as cold as he felt.

He has done it again, that old bastard Stephan, reneging on their agreement. Recalling all too well the events of this time last year. He had a deal, peace and protection he would offer in return for supplies and the hand of Stephan's beautiful daughter, Frances. Lothar was growing decidedly impatient with her father's excuses and procrastination's. What had it been last year? His thoughts dripping with sarcasm, that was it, she was too young! Too young! He scoffed, when most girls were now given away as young as twelve.

No, he had had enough of these pathetic time wasting excuses, his patience had reached its end, and he would bring his full force to bear if Frances was not presented to him soon. Stephan would be shown that he was not a man to be toyed with, if she did not arrive of her own accord within the week he would send a detachment of his feared knights to demand that their agreement be met. Pity help the old man then if refusal was his answer, for Lothar would then forcibly annex Stephan's lands with his own. Enslaving its now free citizens under his stern, unforgiving rule.

The sun had almost set, and the thundering sound of the great diesel generator turning over disrupted his brooding contemplation. He would watch the eastern horizon yet again tomorrow, his displeasure sharpening by the day, his patience growing razor thin.

*****

The chosen eight left the valley stronghold as the evening closed in about them. Renard easily convincing Bennett and the others that it would be a good idea if he went ahead on horseback. He alone could ride, and well. Enabling Renard to advance scout the country ahead, and to hunt more easily for the benefit of the party he had sensibly reasoned. None realizing that his request harbored other hidden intentions.

As the last rays of light faded from the sky he rode out front, alone and nervous with his plans. Not quite sure as yet what he would do exactly. Praying that events would play into his hands as they had done thus far. Renard was well pleased that Bennett had elected to stay behind, at least he felt reassured that Frances would be adequately protected during his absence. Hopefully giving him time to warn his family of their impending doom, all without being discovered. At least that is what he had hoped.