Ambush

Bennett spent the next seventy-two hours with little opportunity for sleep or repast, he had much to achieve and little time to do it, and he went about his preparations at a manic pace

Bennett spent the next seventy-two hours with little opportunity for sleep or repast, he had much to achieve and little time to do it, and he went about his preparations at a manic pace. His first priority was to dispatch a string of watchers to strategic points along the predicted Wolf Lord's route to Stephan's settlement. Giving them fast ponies that they could quickly relay any intelligence of their enemy's movements, or numbers back to him.

This task he handed to Stephan's men, deciding after lengthy discussion with the old man, they would be best employed in an ancillary role in any conflict. As he had guessed most of these men, though keen to defend their homes and families, had little real skill with weapons and would likely prove more hindrance than help in the thick of battle.

While the sentries positioned themselves as they had been instructed throughout the surrounding countryside, Bennett spent his hours extensively touring the local surroundings, formulating a battle plan that would take full advantage of the guerrilla strategies of his own force, and expose the weaknesses of heavily armored, mounted knights.

In less than a morning's scouting he had found a perfect location that he felt would play right into his hands. A steep sided, rocky valley, the only direct point of entry a mounted troupe could easily navigate. Lothar would have to travel via this route, or be forced to deviate many miles to the south, coming in behind Stephan's settlement from the east, even then he would still have to ford the river. The experienced fighter taking a gamble that Lothar would indeed ride through this place, as he always did, suspecting no local resistance. Right into the waiting arms of his own death.

Bennett smiled at the thought, soon the city would be his. The valley opened fairly wide toward the western end, Bennett finding this less than ideal, but other than that minor detail the place was perfect for the attack he had in mind. At once he sent Stephan's men to the tops of both of the valley's steep, uneven sides, toward the eastern end where it narrowed abruptly. Instructing them to position as many large boulders as they could maneuver on to the high overhanging edges. All it would take was some slight leverage at the right moment and the stones should do their lethal work, aided by a force of well placed archers at the eastern end, most should not survive to make a retreat. 

Then there was the matter of the ones that did? Well, he and his blood thirsty killers would have their blades ready and close in from behind, taking advantage of the ensuing panic to finish the job, and butcher the wounded.

With this clear plan in mind the valley was readied for the ambush, under Bennett and Sven's careful direction. Being ever mindful to disturb little, and conceal all positions and defenses carefully, as they had to make this opportunity count.

Bennett did not include his own warriors in the labors of setting up the ambush, this was a job for Stephan's men alone. Realizing that his men would take the largest proportion of the risk during the battle he allowed them the luxury to rest up, feast, and drink plenty. Asking only that they be prepared to move at any time, and their weapons sharp and ready.