The Players of the Game

The inky black waters lapped at the alabaster marble, its milky beauty set starkly against the dark brooding rock

The inky black waters lapped at the alabaster marble, its milky beauty set starkly against the dark brooding rock. The sky above held no shining pinpoints of stars, it was just one continuous sheet of black velvet. There was no moon or sun here just a continuum of vaguely emanating tungsten light that radiated from the abundance of phosphorescent fungi, all bluish in hue. The predominant element in this twilight world water; ever hungry with the slow passage of time, set in silent determination to consume all. For many eons this insular world remained free of change and strife, its inhabitants grown listless and uncaring with the passing of centuries.

However its parallel world of humankind ruled by fire had suffered many upheavals in its long and violent history. For centuries they had sat, these self absorbed narcissistic beings, rarely bothering to even glimpse those above. Though at times their interest was piqued enough that with the correct magics they might go and sow the seeds of mischief amongst humankind. Humans, delicate, savage, unpredictable and their lives lived in but a fleeting moment. To the inhabitants of this dark, slow progressive world, humans could be naught more than mere trifles, or prove deliciously fascinating for a time. Many of their number had at intervals toyed with them with impunity and great joy.

A statuesque woman walked down the ivory colonnade in the diffuse steely light in this world that never saw the sunlight's caress, or the change of seasons. With barely a sound to make anyone aware of her passing. All that could be distinguished was the subtle hiss of her ebon silk robes as she glided through what would seem to most human eyes a monochromatic world. Her skin was the palest white, and so delicate if one was to stop and look, and not be captivated by her beauty they would clearly see the blue of her veins beneath her perfect skin. Her blue black hair was glossy and straight cascading over her back, its length so great it almost kissed the ground. Her long neck was adorned with multitudes of indescribable stones of no earthly persuasion, embedded in a black metal.

"May I walk with you?" A resonant voice inquired. 

She simply inclined her head toward the source of the voice in answer, aristocratic elegance in her every move that did not veil her power of seduction. An equally beautiful man dressed in close fitting black garments with a simple silver diadem adorning his dark tresses emerged from the shadows to walk by her side.

"You cheated Sheharizade." He accused. She smiled and looked demurely at him from the corner of her eye. "No matter." He continued. "I sense we have been somewhat lax with our charges. Perhaps we should have interfered earlier?"

"Quite possibly." She purred. "So you forgive me?"

"How could I not?"

"I am most glad as I must defer to you my King. It is not in my nature to disappoint." Her sensuous lips curved in a salacious smile, yet she made no gesture of sub ordinance.

"There are two more left to discover the truth of who they are."

"Yesssss." She said with relish, her dark eyes so very much alive with mischief. "Though you forget the chosen of he who was banished?"