Traitorous Alliances

Seven days passed before Bennett's forces reached his advance scouting party's position, waiting patiently in the ruins high above their target

Seven days passed before Bennett's forces reached his advance scouting party's position, waiting patiently in the ruins high above their target. He arrived at dusk weary to be greeted by Gareth, who at once reported on all that had happened since Sven's departure. There had been little action below, and still no further sign of the Wolf Lord or his intimidating troops. Gareth also indicating to Sven that his earlier suspicions of disloyalty still remained unfounded.

Bennett immediately ordered his travel weary men to rest up, for it would be a big day tomorrow. Most of the warriors bedded down for the night, whilst those higher in rank sat in a tight circle around their leader, hanging on his every word as the evening shadows closed in.

"It is obvious this place is poorly defended, and the farmer will soon have war on his doorstep. They must realize that they will have little chance of victory. I propose that we just walk right on in, if Lothar's men can do it, so can we." 

There was general assent from all at Bennett's statement, though Renard seemed somewhat subdued Sven noted, his nagging suspicions still not completely allayed. Sven gazed as casually as he could at his brother, sensing Aran too was distracted. I will try again later to get some sense into his foolish head he promised. With Bennett here now he is in definite danger.

Forcing himself with great effort to wrench his concentration back to his leader's words. "We will offer our services as mercenaries, under the pretext that we will be paid in produce, and weapons. If their leader is as desperate as we hope, he should not hesitate negotiate an alliance. With his army in our ranks we should then outnumber our opponents. This Lothar should predictably arrive unprepared and overconfident, thinking this place an easy target, and we will simply take him out with our superior force."

Bennett paused then and added rapacious desire in his voice, and an avaricious gleam in his eye. 

"Then we can have both the city, and take care of the farmer later." This seemed fine logic to all assembled, everyone in agreement to the plan put forward. They called it a night, as they would go in at first light.

*****

Sven followed his estranged and troubled brother, high over the rocky crest, finding him at last brooding in the darkness, perched on an ironstone boulder, his head clasped in his hands. The two men were alone, they would be unobserved this far from camp. The older man approached him making no attempt at quiet, he wanted Aran to talk. There was a thin wedge of the new moon high in the sky, lending its feeble silver light to the scene below. Just enough that the two could comfortably see.

Aran heard the advance, knowing he would once again have to have this recurring argument that Sven must to his irritation so doggedly pursue against his wishes. Aran had on many occasions made his feelings on the matter more than plain to his meddling brother.

"Aran?" The familiar voice sounded from behind him, followed by a hand on his shoulder. "We must talk." The concerned voice went on.

"There is nothing to talk about, as I have said before." Aran's irritation quite plain, shrugging the hand away, his voice flat, barely veiling his anger on the rise.