Crime and Punishment

Bennett woke early he was feeling much renewed, he was still mildly sore, nothing that a few days here of rest would not take care of

Bennett woke early he was feeling much renewed, he was still mildly sore, nothing that a few days here of rest would not take care of. He called to Raissa as she was adding wood to the fire to make acacia tea. She came obediently and swiftly to him awaiting his command. "Shave me." He requested and she set to doing so immediately. Many of the men asked her to do this very same duty for them daily, but Bennett rarely asked her to do anything of this nature and she felt very nervous so close to his personage. He exuded power and danger, and it made her very uncomfortable. This was usually Nathan's task. Bennett wisely relieving him from this duty after the incident with the cat. In time he might trust his slave to resume it again, but he was not so blind as to risk his neck to a venomous sixteen year old boy no matter how pretty and weak he seemed.

The stint in fortress had changed the boy, and Bennett had seen how Nathan had dispatched the Captain in the prison via stealth, his delivery of death clumsy but very effective. The hard leader was unsure he still liked the idea having him around, and was seriously debating what he would do with him now the true object of his desire had returned. Nathan was proving surplus to requirement, but that was only one minor issue he must contend with, there were many more pressing ones than an almost useless slave boy who could not follow orders, or be trusted.

His grooming complete Bennett rose running his calloused hands over his now smooth face enjoying being clean, his first task was to seek out Aran that he might carefully tell him the news of his brother, a most sensitive matter. He had hoped Aran had not already discovered the full extent of this on his own. Bennett felt that he needed to pull the young warrior aside and explain all that had happened thoroughly and they could put in place some strategy to help preserve Sven's dignity, that few here should know as possible. He owed that to his friend.

The day was bright and stark, the frosty nights that were the norm here always gave way to days like this. Not a breeze stirred and the little brown house sparrows chirped happily fluttering from one prickly haven to the next mindless of the treacherous thorns. The few remaining goats grazed the inaccessible slopes and leapt from one rocky shelf to another playfully. Bennett passed them by heading directly for Aran as he stood to the far side of the compound. One boot resting carelessly on the rusted bumper of the old truck that had died there. Its last duty had been to move the shipping containers in to the positions they now occupied in the founding days of this place. When there was still fuel and the men had ranged the desert in vehicles, murdering and plundering at will.

Aran heard the approach and turned to show the appropriate respect to his leader. The fact Bennett had been prepared to shoot him the evening before quite forgotten. 

"Sir, I am glad you are back." He meant it, though his greeting was simple his tone was genuine.

 Bennett just nodded curtly in affirmation letting him continue. 

"I believe we have a few issues to discuss." Aran went on. " The stores are all but depleted, it seems those you trusted to the task were not up to the responsibility."