The Wolf's Revenge

Captain Harris stood now before his dour Lord, the usually robust and much feared leader propped up in his sick bed

Captain Harris stood now before his dour Lord, the usually robust and much feared leader propped up in his sick bed. Lothar had made great effort and in spite of the painful difficulty he had attempted to partially dress for this audience, donning his finest velvet robe dyed the richest indigo hue. However. he still did not project a picture of commanding confidence and health to his contingent of stony faced Captains who surrounded him. His skin was ghostly pale, and sheened with sweat, and his usually powerful voice subdued. However he listened intently to Captain Harris, as he related the success of his dangerously risky mission to all assembled there. As did all the others ranged about him, Victor Krosse included, a vision of evil shrouded as always in his neat black suit.

"So you are convinced Harris that this savage will be fooled by this plan?" Lothar questioned, both edgy and skeptical, but with revenge paramount in his mind.

"I am Sir without a doubt. The man is no more than a desert scavenger, as are his men......"

Harris surprised, was cut off mid sentence by Lothar's powerful baritone at once reminding him of the folly of over confidence. 

"Still, did he not slaughter my knights? My best men!' Lothar shouted, the force of his voice surprising everyone. "We must not underestimate this man, he is a survivor, a man who has no rules!......" Lothar's passionate outburst sending his broken body into a fit of wracking coughing, and it was some minutes before he could resume.

"Very well then." Lothar said somewhat more quietly. 

The conversation still an obvious effort for him and what little strength he seemed to possess fast evaporating. Though his keen, unforgiving black eyes scanned all his men assembled, alighting on each in his turn to get his point across. 

"The plan shall proceed as we have already outlined, but understand this. I want this Bennett, and the other two, the ugly one with the tattoos, and the big blond one that is always with him, taken alive. They must be taken alive!"

Again Lothar collapsed in yet another bout of coughing and severe pain, quite unable to continue. Krosse taking over immediately to close the meeting.

"Yes Sir understood!" Captain Harris acknowledged before turning to his men. "Well, men you all know what to do, it's best you get started. Evening will be upon us shortly, and remember Lord Lothar's wish that the rebels be taken alive is of paramount importance. Do not fail him."

The Captains' as they turned on their heels to depart, did not miss the chilling aspect of Krosse's look, and the hidden meaning of his Lord's request. All here, the most powerful soldiery included greatly feared Lothar's second in command. Although the man was a surgeon of great skill, he had a penchant for other more sinister pass-times, specializing in the art of gathering information and torture. Lothar openly encouraged such activities, a man such as Victor Krosse had his uses, and provided him with a fearsome ally essential in this violent age to keep one's rule intact.