11. What are you doing here?

Ellie's POV

While Jack and I crawl across the floor towards the door, there is another 'Bang' but no bullet flying inside the house. As we reach the door we hear someone running up the stairs. As there is no shooting from outside anymore, Jack and I stand up. We draw our guns and take positions at the door. When the running person has reached the door, Jack opens it and we point our guns at him.

Earlier

Gibbs POV

I wake up and have no idea where I am. Wait, I remember. I went looking for Jack yesterday and seeing my surroundings, I fell asleep on her office couch. Only Jack isn't to be found anywhere. She is late, which she never is. I go to Vance, asking if he heard anything from her. He said that she had called this morning asking for a day off because of a personal matter. I don't buy it! Jack would never just take a day off. I think about calling her, but I know she isn't going to pick up. Because she doesn't want to tell me what's wrong. If she did, she would have told me already. I know what I'm going to do. If she won't come to me, I will come to her. These personal issues are usually the moments that I lose people and I definitely don't want that with Jack.

As I reach her house, I see through the window that she is not alone. Only to see a red dot appear on the curtains. I jump out of my car, but there is already a shot fired. And Jack and the other person are nowhere to be seen. Could she be hit, or even worse, dead. I draw my gun and shoot the guy with the gun, who wants to shoot again. I run up the stairs. And when I almost reach the doorknob with my hands, the door is opened and I have two guns pointed at me.

Jack's POV

'What are you doing here?' I say panicked. I grab Gibbs and pull him inside. I push him on the floor, while Ellie and I drop down too. If Jethro was the one running up the stairs, the shooter can still be out there and I don't want to lose the most important people of my life. Jethro looked strangely at Ellie and them at me. 'Why are we on the floor?' he asks. 'Hiding for someone with a gun who wants us dead' I say as I point to the wall with the bullet hole in it. 'The guy that I just shot outside?' Jethro asks.

'Yes, thank you!' I say as we stand up and I hug him. Ellie looks at us confused, but then her look changes to a 'someone has been having a good time' smiling look. She walks towards another window and checks outside. She starts a phone call in another language. And I'm still hugging Jethro. Wait! I'm still hugging him? Shouldn't I stop? But it feels so safe and I don't want to stop. But then Jethro loosens his grip and I let go too. We look at each other for a moment. Then he kisses me on the cheek and we turn to Ellie as he puts his arm around my shoulder. She hangs up the phone and says 'Don't worry. The guy is still on the street, so he is dead. One of my contacts will make sure he is taken away. I know a safe house in this area, so let's go there for now.'

Jethro and I just stare at her with a slight smile on our faces. 'What?!' Ellie asks confused. I walk silently towards her and give her a hug. After a few minutes Jethro joins in as well. At first she doesn't get it, but it doesn't take long before I feel some tears landing on my shoulder.

Ellie's POV

I didn't know that I needed that hug. And not a bit, but a lot. I wanted to break it up, to ask how she knew that I needed that. Only to realise that it was Jack. And she somehow always knows what I long for deep inside. After a few minutes Gibbs let's go and says: 'Let's go to that safe house you talked about, before we get more visiters.'