3| "𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘥𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘭𝘴"

"DEALS WITH DEVILS"•••

"DEALS WITH DEVILS"
•••

You gather your thoughts, wiping the powder from beneath your nostrils and straightening up. With a heavy sigh, you slip out of your dressing room, finding Vox waiting there, just as he said he would. He perks up at your arrival, raising an eyebrow.

"Took you a while." He points out, eyeing you up and down carefully. His eyes linger on your nose, tracing the hardly noticeable outline of the concealed bruise with his gaze. Regardless, he says nothing about the matter, instead opting to place a hand on the small of your back and encourage you to walk alongside him.

"What did you want to talk about?" You ask softly, placing your hands behind your back and tilting your head to get a better look at him. His fingers dig into the fabric of your top, wrinkling the fabric.

"We'll get there." He insists with a shrug, gently guiding you into the elevator before stepping in beside you, pressing a slender finger to the "3" button. He stands politely beside you, wearing a signature grin. "Back at the studio," He begins, and you keep your eyes on his glowing face. His hand slowly slips away from your back, instead moving to rest on his hip. "You weren't acting."

You feel your face heat up in embarrassment, but clear your throat and force a sweet little smile. "What? No- I mean- I was. I'm glad it was so convincing though...!"

"Do you think that I'm a fool?" He quips, the elevator doors parting to let the two of you through. He takes your arm and pulls you along, moving swiftly down the hall and toward his office. "Regardless, it won't happen again."

"What?" You can't help the nervous laugh that escapes your lips as you step into his office, walls lined with security cameras and other screen displays. Come to think of it, you've never actually been in here before.

Vox shuts the door carefully behind him, looking down to meet your eyes. You make a point to give him your full, undivided attention. "Val is an idiot." His voice glitches out as he spits the name of his business partner, and he chuckles at his own comment, tilting his head to one side. "How would you like to get out of that pesky contract?"

You hesitate, a swarm of emotions overtaking you. "What?" You repeat, clearing your throat.

Vox steps forward, taking your hand in his, bowing down to be eye-level with your knuckles, peering up at you with a sly leer. "Make a deal with me, and I'll get you out of the deal with Val. I doubt it was your afterlife fantasy to be that stupid moth's whore." With that, he stands up straight again, but keeps a firm grasp on your hand, pulling you closer with a light tug. "You'll never have to shoot fuckin' pornos again, and you definitely won't have to do anything with him. All I'd ask in return is for you to return to that damn hotel, working only for me, and get information on that fucking radio demon."

Without giving you a chance to respond, Vox continues, moving his free hand to grab your waist, pulling you closer still. "The face of all of Hell's greatest technology? Or porn? It shouldn't be a hard decision."

It's certainly enticing— more than enticing even, it sounds wonderful. But who's to say that making a deal with a different overlord cancels out a previous one, even if it's in the terms? Or worse, who's to say that when Valentino finds out, he won't storm right up to you and murder you on the spot? Is it worth giving up years of loyalty just to get out of shooting those stupid videos? Granted, you despise doing them, but... "That is such a generous offer," You begin, carefully slipping your hand out of his. His eyes widen and his smile drops into something of a sneer. "But my loyalties lie with Valentino. I owe him more than anything I've done for him so far, and—"

"Owe him!?" Vox snaps, currents of electricity sparking out of his head. "That asshole gave you somewhere to stay one time!"

"It's more than that—"

"It's not!" He argues, clenching his fists at his sides, eye twitching uncontrollably. But, after a second of silent rage, he takes a deep breath and smooths out his coat, putting on a conceited curl of the lip. "Fine. I understand. But my offer remains, if you change your mind."

His eyes widen slightly, pupils turning to spirals that draw you in, keeping you in place for a split second before he returns to normal, and so do you.

"You're free to go, Y/N. Oh, and uh, even if you don't accept my offer, I expect you to collect that information on the radio demon."

"Of course, Vox." You grin cheerfully, turning on your heel and rushing out of the office. As soon as the door shuts behind you, your smile drops and you step into the elevator.

Your hands tentatively reach up to your face, rubbing circles on your temples. You had been offered a way out on a silver platter, but the risks, there were just too many— too much to consider. Besides, you know little to nothing about Vox, as with Valentino, you're fully aware of what makes him tick, how he's feeling at any given moment, what consequences he will give you for any possible action you take. Vox is unpredictable, and that's much more terrifying to you than anything that Valentino could do to you.

———

"Val!" Vox shouts, slamming open the door to Valentino's room. Thankfully, this time, Valentino is not preoccupied, and is rather sitting on his bed, pouting through his own lividness.

Valentino sighs dramatically, turning his head toward Vox with narrow eyes and a growl. "What do you want? You cost me so much fuckin' money today, you idiot!"

"You're going to tell me exactly how you met Y/N," Vox demands, walking toward the lanky moth man. He crosses his arms and cocks his head to the left, sneering venomously. "Come on, big guy." He reaches out, mockingly pinching Valentino's cheek. "Tell me all about your second favorite bitch." Vox cooes.

"And why would I—"

Vox grips Valentino's chin, squishing his cheeks together. His pupils spiral, and Valentino's eyes glaze over.

"Fine." Valentino sighs, getting up from the bed and shedding his coat, letting it pool around his ankles. "But it's not a very interesting story."